Maple removal last week.

Evan Sussman

TreeHouser
I tried to keep it short cause it's kinda slow here and there. I was fighting a hitch that wouldn't work right too, ended up swapping for a retired one. Thank you to the homeowner who shot this on his GoPro, I think he's got the rest, I just gotta meet up next week.

I tried the speedline at the beginning, and then realized I was too low, well I guess "too" is relative, the branches cleared the trees underneath we were preserving.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GGqo8M18m0c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Next time you have a tree of that height, just set your anchor higher in the tree for your speedline.. Then add a redirect to the base of another tree.. then add a z rig after the redirect.. You can then cut and raise the pick to travel with a better pitch than your cutting height. Just a suggestion.

Evan, we have a Tree Felling Vids thread. Generally, unless the video is demonstrating something specific you want to talk about, say speedlines, thats where it would go.

Dont worry about it though, as you get some time to stretch and relax before people are gonna get finnicky with ya.

Here are a couple of our 'catch all' threads that people contribute to regularly.

Tree Felling Vids - You, a friend, anyone. If its a takedown and its pro it goes here
https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?11368-Tree-felling-vids

Wall of Shame - The worst of the worst, funny or tragic!
https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?16328-Wall-of-Shame-Wannabe-Experts

Timelpase - Make it look fast!
https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?15505-Time-Lapse-Tree-Work

Obsessive Compulsive Gear Disorder - Post a pic of your new bling!
https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?3807-O-C-G-D-Thread-part-two

We dont post anything thats not 'work/wife/kids-safe' unless its in the "Garage" https://www.masterblasterhome.com/forumdisplay.php?12-The-Garage and even then we keep it civil, not on eggshells but appropriate.

Once again, Welcome to the House!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Next time you have a tree of that height, just set your anchor higher in the tree for your speedline.. Then add a redirect to the base of another tree.. then add a z rig after the redirect.. You can then cut and raise the pick to travel with a better pitch than your cutting height. Just a suggestion.

I'm not following- picturing the z right. If it set the line way up, then there is slack, I can use a redirect on the tree I'm I'm to bring the line end down and still tension, but that's pretty much what I do on this. How do you get the line tight enough to keep the branches from hitting the ground a tree the base. Wait, Z-right. Do you mean a 2:1?

After I got those few done it just seemed we could go bigger if we did lifts in stead. I had a pretty small staging area. Maybe the truck should've gone in the grass on the right side of the screen...

Thank you, I'm refining my gameplan.

Evan, we have a Tree Felling Vids thread. Generally, unless the video is demonstrating something specific you want to talk about, say speedlines, thats where it would go.

Dont worry about it though, as you get some time to stretch and relax before people are gonna get finnicky with ya.

Here are a couple of our 'catch all' threads that people contribute to regularly.

Tree Felling Vids - You, a friend, anyone. If its a takedown and its pro it goes here
https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?11368-Tree-felling-vids

Wall of Shame - The worst of the worst, funny or tragic!
https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?16328-Wall-of-Shame-Wannabe-Experts

Timelpase - Make it look fast!
https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?15505-Time-Lapse-Tree-Work

Obsessive Compulsive Gear Disorder - Post a pic of your new bling!
https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?3807-O-C-G-D-Thread-part-two

We dont post anything thats not 'work/wife/kids-safe' unless its in the "Garage" https://www.masterblasterhome.com/forumdisplay.php?12-The-Garage and even then we keep it civil, not on eggshells but appropriate.

Once again, Welcome to the House!

Duly noted, thanks Nick.

I'm confused - first you were speedlining, then you were free falling, then you were roping... Imma discombobulated!

See if I can draw a picture later today for ya. Looked like you TIP for your zip line was too low.. higher in the tree would have served you better. No redirect in the tree.. just slack enough to link to your piece being cut. Tension is added as you cut with a 4 or 5:1 rig... It will literally lift the pick giving you more height for the zip.

I'm confused - first you were speedlining, then you were free falling, then you were roping... Imma discombobulated!

Drop zone was clear towards the driveway. The other 270 degrees had trees/shrubs under it.

Stephen right? I think I got the idea, would you be attaching further up the limb, away from the cut? Otherwise you couldn't "lift" it right?

Further up the stem, above the limbs you want to speed out, I think is what Stephen means. Works a treat with the tension control the MA affords the groundie, down on the bottom end.

Hi Burnham, thanks for the welcome.

I mean the attachment the the limb I'm cutting. The speedline t.i.p. would be tied "as high as possible while still strong? "

Again, I think he means the anchor point for the speedline should be as high in the tree the limbs are being removed from as possible. Then, the groundie slacks the speedline to allow the climber to hook up the slings, then tensions it as much as possible before the climber cuts and releases it. With a proper MA system, the groundie can even increase the tension, and thus the steepness of the speedilne, as the piece begins it's run.

An additional benefit is, you don't have to re-rig the speedline as often.

And then of course.. cut smaller if need be for either the higher tie in on smaller leaders (weight and shock) or for clearance. Pretty amazing what you can lift with a 4-1

I think Evan is asking where you tie off on the limb being removed...

1/4 out, 1/3 out, 1/2 way out the branch. Maybe 2/3rds out depending if you want it butt heavy...

I'm sure it depends on what you're trying to do. Know this,
If you tie off next to your cut with a lot of tension on it, You're probably not gonna get what you're looking for.

Tip tying to stand up the limb might get the most slack out of the speedline.

Balance-point tying the limb might keep a long limb from hanging down too low as it slides.

Attaching twice to the speedline, with a longer sling near the butt and shorter one near the tip of the limb might float it horizontally, with or without lifting the limb, depending on the situation.

A high anchor point for the speedline can be redirected near the work with a carabiner and sling in order to keep the belly out of the line when the limb is cut, allowing the speedline to be set up top once, and the re-direct sling above the limb being cut becomes the speedline sling for the next limb, pre-attached.

Sorry, no pics at the moment.

Many ways to utilize the speedline in different scenarios.

Often we have long fir limbs low down on the bole, over little japanese maples or rhododendrons. Remotely setting a high speedline point, a la an SRT climbing line, with a balance point or tip tie on long limbs, plus an 2:1, allows you to pop these long, low limbs up over landscaping enough to clear your obstacle and land it just far enough away in a clear dropzone.

Attaching twice to the speedline, with a longer sling near the butt and shorter one near the tip of the limb might float it horizontally, with or without lifting the limb, depending on the situation.
This works very well, especially over a roof line. Add a tagline for the climber to control the speed and retrieve gesr, it works in real tight spaces.

Attaching the butt end of the branch to your speedline runner and setting a small pulley on the speedline, tied to the tip of the branch with a sling, works real well for keeping a real long branch horizontal.

P1010350.JPG

I like it. I don't have a pulley MA system, I do have a grcs. Tip tying or tying part way up the limbs make sense as I can break the hinge by tensioning speedline. I was picturing the tie near the base of the limb. Possibly you could quickly tension with a pulley system, I think grcs might be slower. Either way tying further out on the branch makes sense to me now in that case., but many possibilities are available by tying at different points on the branch, or multiple points for that matter

GRCS just to raise or tension the line is awesome.. I have done what Stig pictured with two slings and a couple biners, no pulleys if need be. Tie a tag line for the climber to have control of the system to the butt of the pick or the biner nearest the butt. Works awesome. MA is all you need to tension the line.. Z rig or GCRS are a couple of good, quick tensioning examples.
Please understand, Evan, we are not critisizing. Discussion about rigging is amazing. I love learning stuff. In this business, just when you think you have it about all down, there is always more to learn :) The banter in this forum, is an awesome learning tool. :)

Thanks Stephen, there is so much awesome technique and knowledge to be learned and shared. I'm grateful to be a part of it. As long as the intention is good, and building up I appreciate positive advice or critique. I'll admit sometimes it can be hard to hear, but I think that is a pride ego issue. Sometimes even mean critique is good/true when it comes down to it, even if the intention was wrong. I didn't have any problem hearing what you guys have said. Thank you all, honestly it's a blessing. I want to learn how to use Tools to make work more effieient/safe, most of the knowledge of Tree work I have has been from studying forums second, and first from reading Gerry Berenek's book and watching his videos. They were my first arborist investment, before buying climbing gear even. A great resource Gerry, thank you. I want to get your new set, it just hasn't made it into the budget yet. My two key mentors in person we're Mark Dobbertin who worked for Greg Good before he moved to Maui where I met and became friend with him, he taught me climbing and gave me confidence in rigging and using the GRCS well. Tai Domen taught me lot about tree care/pruning.

Hey Even: Really great job. Absolute PIG of a Big Leaf Maple from what it looked like. Btw, if you want to talk to the most learned/experienced arbo/timber-faller types, you've come to the right site: that's the only reason I hang out with these nasty atheists. Butch, Stig, Jerry Beranak, Burnham, Stephen and Jay are absolute timber-gods in my book, even if they don't yet know THE God. Gods of treework, and dummies of philosophy imho. Can't speak for Mr Beranak actually. If I truly loved Christ like I say I do, I probably wouldn't speak for any of them... The last shall be first and the first shall be last you know, and "many shall come who say, 'Lord, Lord', ... and I shall say, "I never knew you." I really don't want to be on that list.

O.k. that was a really rambling post. I should probably put the bottle down now, and pick the Bible up. Seriously. Anyway.... welcome to the house.

Back