New stihl chain 63PS

I just got some of that.
Best cutting chain I've ever run on my T200s.
I traded the extra loops of 63PS3, I had on the shelf back to the dealer for some of the PS.

I think if I had a brand new apprentice, I'd keep some of the safety type on a saw for him to stert out with, but Martin has about 2000 hours of chainsaw running under his belt now, so no worries there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nope, 63PS. No safety straps, can get you the number off the box if you want.

Please do. Thanks.

Heck I havent even used up my roll of PS3 up I bought.

With a pole saw you need all the help you can get .My el cheapo Poulan really needs a boost .

Al I picked up a loop of 45dl and 56dl to compare PS to PS3 on my 338 or smaller rear handle saw.

Now if oregon or carlton would catch up with the game.

Just use a friends info to show you.

The new Stihl chain on the Husky 338xpt.
The same chain is on the scale, weighing in at 169 grams for a 52dl's

The Stihl bumper style chain on the Jonsered 2139.
The same chain is on the scale, weighing in at 180 grams for a 52dl's

If your 192 is .043 gage 3/8LP you will need a different bar. Just grab a .050 3/8LP bar.

I'd be curious to know if bumperless is really any faster .Maybe a week ago I took both one of the 200T's and the 024 both with bumper type chisel for a test run .

I had never had the occasion to plunge cut with either saw .With the bumper type much to my amazement they shot right through a 12 inch round like a hot knife through butter.Regular cutting they both pull nice healthy big chips .

Now the 024 had a Stihl bumper type chisel on it when I got it and it didn't do so well .It's got Oregon on it now and does better .That thing is only like 42 cc or so .

I just thought of something .Couple weeks ago at a GTG I had the stock 200T with Stihl bumper chisel whatever number it is .I chewed though a log toot sweet and several people asked if it was the "Super Bee" .They'd never seen small chisel on a small saw before .

I'd be curious to know if bumperless is really any faster .Maybe a week ago I took both one of the 200T's and the 024 both with bumper type chisel for a test run .

I had never had the occasion to plunge cut with either saw .With the bumper type much to my amazement they shot right through a 12 inch round like a hot knife through butter.Regular cutting they both pull nice healthy big chips .

Now the 024 had a Stihl bumper type chisel on it when I got it and it didn't do so well .It's got Oregon on it now and does better .That thing is only like 42 cc or so .

I got both now Al. Just no time to test stuff right now.

Maybe someday :dontknow:

I'd be curious to know if bumperless is really any faster .

It is not a question of faster or not, to me.

More a question of the bumper type becoming rather useless for boring after you've filed the rakers a couple of times.

I'm just curious how much bore type cutting up in a tree you guys do with top handle saws and picco 3/8LP chains.

Being the patron saint of borecutters, I bore cut everything!

No, you are right, not a whole lot.
So it is probably a moot point.

If I pop off a leaning top, I'll bore it to avoid having it split up or worse, down.

Being the acolyte of the short bar...yeah actually very rarely have I had to bore cut up in a tree, so bumpers/no bumpers probably isn't a problem, but if there is lots of work and the chain is being sharpened regularly then after a while the bumpers get tiresome. What Stig said, I sit to learn at his feet. (isn't that the definition of an acolyte?)

63PS3 green safety bumper like RS3 in picco

63PS yellow like RS in picco = new not even listed by distributors here yet to get for our dealers. I might buy a 25' to get it before the dealers again.

PS = round chisel cutters, not like PM that was semi chisel cutters.

I'm gonna find some and try it on the top handle saws I'm running.
Grinding my way thru a 5" dia 200 year old Sitka spruce limb with semi chisel chain on an under powered saw flat sucks.

Last edited:
It is not a question of faster or not, to me.

More a question of the bumper type becoming rather useless for boring after you've filed the rakers a couple of times.

Now there is something we definatly agree on.

Al, Oregon has a 3/8 pitch chain that has a bumper type depth gauge that is smooth boring but has a good chisel tooth geometry and it seems to cut as fast as say standard 75 CK but it is the only chain I've tried that does. All the other safety chains have reduced cutting performance in my experience.

I'm gonna find some and try it on the top handle saws I'm running.
Grinding my way thru a 5" dia 200 year old Sitka spruce limb with semi chisel chain on an under powered saw flat sucks.

I found a hook up for the 63PS loops made to order and shipped. So I didnt have to buy a roll of the PS like I did the PS3. If you cant find it let me know. He might not ship to you not knowing you, but I can help as a middle man if you cant find it.

Already ship 1 up your way to the east a hair.

Back