New stihl chain 63PS

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Larry works at stihl dealer and said a new chain is out 63PS. :D That would be the 63PS3 chisel chain without the safety bumpers. Sweeeet

63PS picco 3/8LP chisel.

Hey guys,

New chain in town "Stihl 63PS"

No safety links.

Can you put that in laymen terms? I know what chains to buy for my saws and I know how to sharpen those chains. That is where my chain knowledge ends.

What is a safety link?

I'll co-sign what Butch said. Id horsewhip my saw dealer if they handed me over that stuff. No semi chisel chain either.

Some safety chain is just that the drive link is the same piece as the raker, there is no extra bump. it isn't as bad as the type with the ramps. I think they claim that such chain has less vibration as well. More than a few folks are probably using safety chain and don't know it. I prefer non-safety myself as well.

When I found a 200T on the shelf this spring it had a 14" bar and safety chain on it. They wanted $605. I told them I wanted a 16" and non safety. They looked for quite a while and then told me I could have it for $575 like it was. Sold. It actually has cut OK so far.

Dang I used to use that safety chain till I was told that it was safety chain. That was in the past, now I just pass on safety chain. It's the yellow stuff for me all from the 200t to the 660....., it's a hell of a difference.

Bought two loops of it and the dealer had not even heard of it :lol:
Ran me almost 50 clams. Stihl have yet to put a loop on the 200T. Had a new loop of LP Carlton to use first already on the saw. Maybe I'll tag a nail or something.

I will have to see what we have on our climbers. Stihl does green and yellow chains right? I thought green was safety and yellow is not. We always buy yellow...... I think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now what is the deal with this 63PS...... seeing that it is not safety chain......

I will have to see what we have on our climbers. Stihl does green and yellow chains right? I thought green was safety and yellow is not. We always buy yellow...... I think.

63PS3 green safety bumper like RS3 in picco

63PS yellow like RS in picco = new not even listed by distributors here yet to get for our dealers. I might buy a 25' to get it before the dealers again.

PS = round chisel cutters, not like PM that was semi chisel cutters.

So this is different than the 3/8lp chisel they can out with last year? Full Chisel made a nice difference on my 020t/ms200t/ms201t's!

Pics would help so much.

I just buy Stihl round ground chisel aka flat top, full comp or skip.

I was surprised to find that square grind costs less than round grind. I gather that they make it square, then have to round grind it. At Parks we get square, but round file or round grind it once it needs it. Maybe $20-30 cheaper for a spool at Madsen's for Oregon.

We get the Oregon at my super's choosing in part because its locally/ American made, and in part because its softer, as we use our saw chain for metal detecting ;), and maybe its cheaper.

OH. I'm sick, my chain (brain) is dull at the moment. I missed little details.

So the safety bumpers there, on the PS3 green, are not the big 'safety chain' bumpers found on some other bigger saw chains.

Is the green/ yellow designation shown with the master link when the loop is formed, or is it just a designation that is on the packaging?

Yes. green yellow strap shown on chains

IMO for my uses the little safety bumpers dont bother the cut or bore cutting on the PS3. If you look at the timed cuts with PS3 it was smoking everything I ran against it and is why it's on my pole saw now too. I want the cut over with soon as possible lifting that puppy up and extended.

It was the only one to buy when I got the PS3 in chisel, given a choice I would buy PS next. ;):D

Back