NatGeo...

I'm not diametrically opposed to what Professor Sillett is doing in the trees, Bonner. And Butch, professor Sillett is not my buddy.

I started climbing the big trees much earlier than him. My reasons for doing so parallels his reasons in so many ways, actually, but we clearly have different philosophy's about it. I'm more pragmatic, and long have been, and feel others should enjoy the experience of reaching the canopy of these great trees. Sillett is more fanciful with this, and feels that only he and his elite buddies should be the only ones to climb the trees. That's our only conflict. Between us the love of climbing these trees is exactly the same.

Accepted, Bonner. There's still a lot to be said about having arborists sanctioned to climb these trees. And certainly a lot of things have to be factored out to even make something like that work. I sincerely believe it can be done. Exactly how? Well, it has to be drawn out an presented first. Unfortunately this forum is not the right place to be drafting ideas at the moment. Though in time everyone's input will make a big difference.

It is going to be presented in the up coming book, Butch. For political reasons it is best to just hold on to that thought for now, and let it play when the book is distributed.

In the meantime we can still talk and speculate about it, but my definitive answer to the issue will come later.

In lieu of this latest issue of National Geo, featuring climbing the Sequoia's, I will have to read though it. As it is totally new information to draw from, and no doubt will have bearing on what I say.

The timing really couldn't be more prefect.

Interesting to read your posts Jerry. I've never met Professor Sillett but I heard plenty about him within the academic community when I was in school and of course from within the arborist community. I always sensed he felt a need as an ecologist to protect the sensitive ecosystem that exists in the redwood canopies. I can totally relate to that. However, the tools and understanding of how to climb properly so that he doesn't damage that ecosystem he has adopted from the arborist community. The same people he needed to rely on for their understanding and knowledge he is now saying shouldn't be climbing in these trees?

Also what I think he is missing is that if more people got to experience the beauty of redwood canopies that would only help in the fight to protect these amazing trees.

jp:D

That's Jerry's buddy!

:lol:

Although the two may not be tuned to the same key, Sillett does realize Beranek's ability enough to have one or two of his books in the personal library.

About the article, one of my customers called like 7am in morning right after it was mailed, to let me know it was out and available.

Seems these articles, no matter how good, just never seem long enough.

So wait, I cant climb a big redwood, but Sillett can?

Is tree climbing illegal in parks in California?

Once you learn the basics about what is available, the question would be rephrased in the future.

You and Sillett have equal opportunity to climb redwoods.

It's not that Sillett "can" but rather than Sillett is permitted. So if you fill out the same permit application, they can authorize and give you the same permission to do it. Just let them know your credentials, what you plan to accomplish, and what your resources are.

Also, it's not available to anybody, short of an emergency, to climb in the big coast redwood parks during certain time of year. Like Humboldt Redwoods State Park for example.

Back