Matsutake!

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
"Matsu" is our Pine. Any of you guys ever see these mushrooms near the base of trees and eaten them? In these parts they can be found only with our Red Pines at this time of year. Quite desirable for people that know about them and can collect, and just about everyone has eaten them at one time or another. They can be hard to find if you aren't clued in to the lighting and ground conditions where they will grow, it does require certain specifics. I sometimes see collectors disappearing into the woods, and they are often rather secretive about the places that they know. People collect to sell to restaurants too, a top class one can bring a hundred bucks. People are big on the aroma that they put out after being cooked too, and lots of ways to eat them in various dishes. Reading Wikipedia, I see that there is something very similar in the Pacific Northwest, but it is white, and grows around other species of trees. They have a relationship with the tree roots, apparently. Though I have looked a bit myself, I have yet to find one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matsutake

Attachments

• JapanFood_1299R.jpg
    JapanFood_1299R.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I couldn't find anything mentioned about the east coast, but was surprised to read that at least on the west cost, or Oregon in particular, something similar is associated with hardwoods. Wonder if Willie sees them? It is another thing that the Pine tree disease is very negatively affecting, the numbers are going down on the harvest.

I don't see those that I recall. A lot of folks are big into morel hunting. Fed requires a permit if you are selling them. There are also chanterele, chicken of the woods, ink caps, shaggy mane, lions mane, oyster and many more. If I stumble on some I know I will pick them but i'm the only one in the house that eats them. For my wedding we spread many yards of wood chips to spruce up the in law's and the following year morel popped up all over! Bonus!

The ones we get here are good. Though not for the weak of mind. You can have some off the chart, lucid dreams. Crazy, super twisted action.

I have never heard of that type of shroom being hallucinogenic, but I am open to all possibilities. :D

I think that if you hallucinate, you generally can't sleep. Maybe it wouldn't wake you up if you fell asleep first? Where are the research volunteers? The point with those is that they are considered desirable for culinary purposes. If people want to get their head bad, they generally use sake.

Back