Close Call

Oh boy, nightmare for sure!
I posted once about deciding not to tie in with my lanyard because of the possibility of something going wrong with a spear cut, it did and had I been tied in twice, I shudder to think of the consequenses (neck, back etc.), instead I just got knocked off my perch, firm, high main tie in swung me gently out of the area upside down...

But hey, who's to tell, we can't always anticipate or foresee every possibility, so that 'bit' breaking off saved his butt, if not his life...AMEN!
The gut wrenching moment of realizing all that weight is on your climb line, with you in the middle as the weak point, oy...!
Super glad he's ok.

Scary
I think about that, time to time, like "what if...".
But there aren't many answers.:(

If we can't trust usually in a 20" limb, it would be hard to be comfy during almost all the tree work.
I don't say I climb blindly, though, far from that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
After we dissected it a bit for transport, I checked out the 20" branch.
It was an old co-dom with the other dom removed. I'd say 3/4 of the piece was rotten.

Pine really does not compartamentalize very well.
This tree was only maybe 70 years old too...by the ring count.

Jerry, Ed's a Toughie for sure.

To go along with, for example Skwerl's comment....
Many times I'm only perched with one tie in, for a silly cut, lodged in ready to bail.

Same here, like Brian says...you've got to be able to bail. But being able to tell when the situation warrants that precaution is the hard part, sometimes.

Back