my dirt bag cabin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
moar! fall is fast approaching and rain is now my nemesis. im pushing hard to get all the straw up and covered on the exterior before it gets wet. nice thing about bales is they are big and they fill space quick. unfortunately it is a little awkward fitting the first row around the beams and odd angles of the corners.it seems as though im going to end up using just about every alternative building style can think of in this build.i driiled and epoxied rebar into the bond beam, two per bale. found out they are a real bitch to shove bales onto if they are not sharpened. watch where you sit!
IMG_0566.jpg
starting to pile up...
IMG_0567.jpg
the back side of the cabin. two vertical bales will fit into the gap between the windows.
IMG_0568.jpg

that was last week. this is today...

working alone today, so i set up a 3 to 1 progress capture system with the hybrid OAR to hoist the bales.

IMG_0593.jpg

to the roof!

IMG_0586.jpg

the hedger does a really fantastic job of trimming up the wall...

IMG_0584.jpg IMG_0585.jpg

cheers!

IMG_0592.jpg

Jaime, you are doing a beautiful piece of work there, without a doubt. I hope to be fortunate enough to one day see it personally. Total kudos.

Looking just amazing Jaime. We saw a straw bail house in El Dorado, NM that ended-up selling for about $400,000.00. Wasn't too much bigger than your cabin either. Plus, yours looks cooler.

Do the hay bales last indefinitely? Here with thatched roof structures, they smoke the inside to give the grass longevity, or for residences, it happens over time from inside cooking and heat fires. Older places that get smoked, bugs and snakes and mouskateers will fall out.

the bales do last a very long time, provided they are protected properly. they will be sealed inside and out with a fairly thick plaster, and the roof overhangs are good and wide. that is the crux of my rush to get them in place before rain. if the bales get wet, they will mold and begin to decompose.

if there is another west coast get together, i would be thrilled to host. it is remote though...

there are indeed some big trees! a few redwoods close to 200', not monsters, but respectable. oh, and the trees are mine, so, permission granted to climb!

Redwoods on your property.
Maaaaan, I am so envious!!!!
Did you ever tell us the location of your cabin. I don't mean precise, just whereabouts in general.

Redwoods on your property.
Maaaaan, I am so envious!!!!
Did you ever tell us the location of your cabin. I don't mean precise, just whereabouts in general.

In the hills of northern santa cruz county. Steep country that was too difficult to log out completely. Seriously, if there is interest, im down to host spring 2015 west coast get together, or any treehouser rolling through on a random weekend.

Back