Wall of Shame: Wannabe Experts

Thank you Burnham, your advice is duly noted. Its not on my immediate purchase list, but when its comes to it I now know that 8k will do and the more the merrier.

You can always add MA. Add a 2:1 on a 2:1 and you can get 4:1 with only (2) single-sheave blocks.

If everybody used a load cell routinely when they did things, it would really inform what we did much more quantitatively. Suppose something is too much for two guys pulling, maybe 350-400 pounds of force, so you put the truck on it, you can't tell if it took 450 pounds of force to pull something over, or 500, or 550, or 800 pounds...

Seeing August's load cells in action in that video was very interesting.

That does seem to be a very useful tool to have. That constant running info of what we are actually pulling vs what we THINK we are pulling would be Very handy in taking the guesswork out of many situations. Its a tad pricey for me at this point though

You can FF to 1:20 to see it go wrong:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Mfo3-5QCq7k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VDfoNq5jrOo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've never run a crane. Guess I was thinking it operated atleast somewhat like a yarder? While it was balanced, sort of, seemed like you could've been cabling out for all it was worth. I don't know if booming down would've helped at all too? Seems maybe not?

Trying to keep it all steady and hoping for the best still? A gross miscalculation of branch Union weight vs straight trunk wood?

I think you can't or aren't supposed to boom up or down with a load... ... you gotta wonder why they didn't dump the thing on the lawn, or put the crane closer.. two crane days seems like a lot.. not the first tipped crane I've seemed whenthe tree is right next to an open lawn... gotta wonder are they trying to protect the lawn, or look all professional, or run the bill up...

Big wood! No way that's a 70 ton crane, though... too small of a boom, not enough axles, didn't see add on counterweights.... maybe a 40 ton... at that radius, it was probably only good for 6-8000 lb....

At least the structure survived.

Looks like your basic 70t link belt to me.

Big wood! I don't think that's a 70 ton crane, though... too small of a boom, not enough axles, didn't see add on counterweights.... maybe a 40-50 ton... at that radius, it was probably only good for 6-8000 lb....

At least the structure survived.

I would've thought from seeing the flex in the boom someone would've thought this ain't good.
You can do whatever with the boom if you stay within the chart. This was not a good example but some clients will pay dearly to not put a mark in the lawn.

From my armchair winch out boom in once it started it could have been saved. I'm with everybody though on lay it out plenty of pace to do so.

I don't have any crane experience but, right from the beginning it looked to me like a too far reach for too much weight???
Didn't look like the crane had a chance once it slipped off the trunk and the full weight dropped into the cable..... :?

Back