Wall of Shame: Wannabe Experts

Check out the dummy on the pull line. Had the rope wrapped around his hand as if he was going to a boxing match.

I don't enjoy these things at all, I often choose to pass, being of a squeamish nature, but feel I should for my own sake.

The impulse to hold onto a saw is strong, and by the time you have the wherewithal to let go it's too late.

Hope the guy wasn't too badly hurt.

Looks like he cut until it fell, having cut off the far corner, allowing his bar end to get pinned to the face cut, then maybe the log levered down on the tip of the bar, with the stump as a fulcrum.

I've dropped the saw twice. Once on a big wind thrown white pine, and again on a big hemlock. Both times I would have been pulled with the tree, and there was no conscious thought whatsoever, my hands just let go. . . mangled my bar on the hemlock.

There's some pretty wild stuff in parts of this one.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8n76LfbY3qo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh hell, did you see the one near the start where the guy goes over with the top of the tree??? NOT good. at. all.

I know right! That's why I posted this one. It's not all homeowners and ladders, there's some serious arbie screwups. . .

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nHlQNnBwRAQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's funny to see the physical laws in these old anims. Some are pretty accurate, like the wobbling of the crosscut saw during the walk, others (many others) are completely dumb. Very well made and hilarious.

Not much those old Disney characters didn't get up to. 8)

Anyone seen this video?

8crZTil.gif

In my first 2 months of residential tree work, 10 years ago, I took a ride like that. If you're on the ground, its more likely that you could naturally let go. You become airborne and feel like you're on a tree swing, in a hurry. I didn't know how to wrap a tree, nor did anyone else. I decided to exit that crew pretty pronto, before getting really hurt.

Back