Filing Guides

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Adam you got the good one!!

On Adams the flat file is specialty pferd specific. The round files are not brand specific on either.

The fancy one Adam got has the special 2way flat file. On mine you have to turn the files when you switch sides.

Brendon the tooth files are just standard size depending on chain. The raker file on the other hand has to be a pferd and it's like 8 bucks from treestuff. I have a side job tomorrow and just touched up my other top handle in the garage. I'm definitely happy with the purchase. :)

My friend has an old silvey sharpener and that thing is sweet. I have the this oregon mini to do batches and I'm happy with it but the top is ABS and will flex a bit if you're yanking on it. Still well worth it at that price.

Adam you got the good one!!

On Adams the flat file is specialty pferd specific. The round files are not brand specific on either.

The fancy one Adam got has the special 2way flat file. On mine you have to turn the files when you switch sides.

Treestuff has my number man. That stuff is like crack.. :|:

I got the 5/32" and the 13/64". You cost me 80 bucks! :D

'
I Have used this treatment on larger fine cut metal files too, and it works, but the differances in the metals tis tuff to notice.
If they change color they usually are gone as it eats too much.
I'd try a bit on a part of the file first, and test my way...

I tried your apple cidar vinegar method on a couple of my files Magnus . I have to agree with you it does seem to work on a fine cut or finishing file. I missed your mention that it works on a fine cut file the first time I read your post and tried it on a coarse cut file. It didn't work quite as well but the file I used it on was in pretty bad shape to begin with hoping to luck out for an easy fix:lol::lol:. Looks like I will have to buy new ones or send them out for resurfacing. I can see where this would work good on a chainsaw file because they are much smaller with finer cutting edges for the vinegar to work on.

As of late I have come to appreciate good sharp clean files and honing stones. I have added to my collection of axes and hatchets along with draw knives for making rustic log furniture. I prefer to sharpen these tools with files and stones verses a grinder . A good file makes all the difference in producing a nice clean sharp edge followed up with a honing stone.

Geting back on the actual topic of this thread. I tried the Pferd file many years ago and abandoned it. The depth gauge file wasn't all that great and seemed dull to me. I can't really remember but I think you had switch out the files if you needed different size files . That was a big pain to me much easier to carry along seperate size files. It wasn't long before the Pferd just plain broke because there was way too plastic in it's constrution. I just never cared for it is all.

I am still using my old trusty double beveled file holders /guides that Homelite made along with just using a file with a handle on it. I like both methods but it is really hard for me to tell which way works best. It all comes down to how bad of condition the chain has been abused. I use the beveled file holder for a badly abused chain because I can keep file in a better postion riding the depth gauge so the file is in a good relationship to the top plate and side plate and I can see the edge forming as I file. For a not so abused chain I will just use the file with a handle on the tang and also get good results. I never did like the Oregon or flat style type file guide ,nor anything that clamps to a bar.

It can't perform mirecles, if file is damaged from blows, vibrations or beating nothing can restore the cutters.

But for normal ware this works a couple times depending on file.
I have files I used this on 8-10 times..

Back