Filing Guides

I'd rate cutting green bodock right in there with concrete! :whine:

I don't recall the diameter of the one I helped Carl on, but I had to use my 28" bar to nip the heart. I'll ask him to post a pic.

I seem to recall it was over 36", at the narrow spots, I 'spect near 50" at the wide, though I confess I don't remember for sure.

I would love to turn a piece of that.
Probably takes a real fine finish, being so hard.

I haven't worked with Mulberry, but I know it was once a favorite among some woodworkers in the older days. That makes me think it isn't so hard and pretty easy to work. I believe there are some different types of Mulberry.

There's a guy who lives not far from me in a log cabin who had some bodock sawn for a floor. It's pretty wood.

I'm not a woodworker but it seems of just average hardness, like a red maple say.

Never heard of the stuff but we have osage and mulberry .Mulberry has this sticky white sap if you cut it green .Once it's dry it's pretty hard but not as hard as osage orange .

Damned birds eat the mulberries then make bombing runs on your car ,house and paint everthing purple .Thank heavens the only female mulberries I have on the place are 200 feet or more from the house .Couple males near the house but they don't produce berries .

The area where I reside was once a big silk producing region. There are remnants of the Mulberry orchards here and there, and some still being maintained, but everything looks like a tall shrub. I guess they get frequently pruned back, or they have come up with some dwarf variation.

Nick, that looks the same as the new Stihl one. Just a different colour I guess.

I've always filed by hand without a guide, it takes a while to get it right. Trial and error, just like most things I've learnt.

I saw this on Steve's site a while back.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p57zA9OOjs0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I got one of those setups from treestuff yesterday http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1779

You could teach a monkey to file with this thing. It's very well made too. A bit expensive I suppose but it should last a looong time.

Adam,

What happens when you need a new file? Strictly pferd files, or interchangeable?

Depending on my mood determines whether or not I'm getting a good sharpen. Relaxed with time on my hands, take it slow and it comes out great. Pissed of in a rush, grab a new one from a box.

At some point in life I'd still like a Silvey, but hand filing with rein for some years to come still.

I dont use a guide. Ive tried them, but always just eyeball it. Most saw chain has the angle indicator etched in the top of the tooth, that's my guide.

Back