Filing Guides

Magnus, how do you clean your files, a file card (the thing with little wires in it that looks like a hair brush)?

"A good file is a must to cut a clean not rugged surface.

I clean file after each tooth, thereby not filling it so fast with crap, but eventually it will get dirty and cleaning is a must.
After a couple cleanings it usually gets "dull". This is often do to the file itself getting a fine burr on the cutters.
I then dip them in Apple cider vinegar, place them with cutter up for a minute or two, not more...
Then clean again and it is like new. This can be repeated until file get damaged from vibrations or hard surfaces."

This sounds radical, can you explain more? What do you mean, "place them with cutter up for a minute or two..?"

I learned to file chains about 100 years ago with a Cralton "File-o-plate". Usin' the File-o-plate is EZPZ...

After I learned on that gizmo... Now I just hold my tongue right. Been doin' it freehand for almost 90 years...

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=65986

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9ddDPfWr-JI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gary

This.. but with better form. I have a sharpening bag that will sling over your shoulder and carry extra flat and round files along wiht this tool. All else fails, I'll hand file. I have 3 of them in different locations. Square chisel gets to play with my Silvey. I just carry extra loops..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mtspO6DE8O8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Magnus, how do you clean your files, a file card (the thing with little wires in it that looks like a hair brush)?
After each tooth I pull it thru a cloth.
When it gets dirty in the cutters I in Diesel. After some washes I use vinegar to remove burr.
This is repeated until file is damaged.

"A good file is a must to cut a clean not rugged surface.
I clean file after each tooth, thereby not filling it so fast with crap, but eventually it will get dirty and cleaning is a must.
After a couple cleanings it usually gets "dull". This is often do to the file itself getting a fine burr on the cutters.
I then dip them in Apple cider vinegar, place them with cutter up for a minute or two, not more...
Then clean again and it is like new. This can be repeated until file get damaged from vibrations or hard surfaces."

This sounds radical, can you explain more? What do you mean, "place them with cutter up for a minute or two..?"
The vinegar stuff you mean?
I cleaned it well I try it and if it won't eat metal I dip the hole file in the bottle and olace it standing with cutters up.
A file look sort of like this: ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) In the cutters crud is washed out and as I dip it in vinegar this eat the burr that forms on each gutter as it wears..
Not too long, then cutter so as well. If you have discoloring on the file it was too much.

This.. but with better form. I have a sharpening bag that will sling over your shoulder and carry extra flat and round files along wiht this tool. All else fails, I'll hand file. I have 3 of them in different locations. Square chisel gets to play with my Silvey. I just carry extra loops..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mtspO6DE8O8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This has been around since the early 50's. Stihl carry them and most after market sellers too.

Will this cleaning and vinegar treatment work on bigger files also???? I tried it once and the file came out discolored so I am assuming I let the file set in vinegar too long.

Like most pack rats I have many files around here but they are old and dull and would like to bring them back to life because I can't buy some of these files in a store and the ones in the store aren't that great to begin with.

I just placed an order for chainsaw files from Save Edge. They have the bigger files I need but they do not sell them singley ,only but the dozen. They can resharpen old files but you need a minumum of at least 25 files . I'll probaly end up doing this because I know we have that many around but if this cleaning and vinegar will work I'll give it another try.

I can file well. I know that because many men 3 decades older then me in the business have sincerely complimented my filing after having tried a chain i filed. I do think I could be a little better though. If i put a saw on a workbench with the radio on and relax, I can make a chain that is worth talking about. My on the job filing is very good, but again, not 110% of what it could be.

I started when I was 11. I never tried a guide, dont know how to use one. I just use my right hand, one handed. turn the saw and do the opposite side of the chain the same way. Lately its a struggle for me. I have a callous developed where the palm of my hand meets the wrist. Thats where the pointed end of the file goes. I sort of push the pile to an extent by the pointed end with my palm/wrist junction. When I but my hand not long ago, it split the callous in half and now the pointed end of the file pushes into the new scar tissue. I cant file with gloves or a file handle either. it just doesnt work out for me.

IMAG0579.jpg

I have handles, but never use them. Years and years of not using one, now using one feels awkward. I hold it though, not butt it to my palm. I change filing technique from time to time as situation dictates. If/when I'm fairly certain of metal/rock/etc, I intentionally put less angle on the teeth, thereby reducing the amount that gets sheared off when it hits foreign objects. Nothing worse than putting a long, keen cutting edge on a chain and seeing half the tooth sheared off on a nail.

I had a sprocket shatter a few weeks ago. Went ahead and put new bar and chain on. Helped Carl the next day, and first tree (sweet gum, maybe 12" dbh), hit a couple of nails. Less than 5 minutes on new chain. Got it cutting good again after a couple of filings, and went to help Carl with a bodock (a week or 2 later). Hit about three nails from old treehouse steps up in the limbs. Got that straightened out, and cut down a big pine two weeks ago. I hit two nails cutting it down. After another go-around with the file, I had it doing okay. Went to ALAP the stump and hit 2 or 3 more. Needless to say, this chain has not been my favorite!

Wow, I never heard of those. Do they get big?

Will this cleaning and vinegar treatment work on bigger files also???? I tried it once and the file came out discolored so I am assuming I let the file set in vinegar too long.

Like most pack rats I have many files around here but they are old and dull and would like to bring them back to life because I can't buy some of these files in a store and the ones in the store aren't that great to begin with.

I just placed an order for chainsaw files from Save Edge. They have the bigger files I need but they do not sell them singley ,only but the dozen. They can resharpen old files but you need a minumum of at least 25 files . I'll probaly end up doing this because I know we have that many around but if this cleaning and vinegar will work I'll give it another try.
'
I Have used this treatment on larger fine cut metal files too, and it works, but the differances in the metals tis tuff to notice.
If they change color they usually are gone as it eats too much.
I'd try a bit on a part of the file first, and test my way...

I can file well. I know that because many men 3 decades older then me in the business have sincerely complimented my filing after having tried a chain i filed. I do think I could be a little better though. If i put a saw on a workbench with the radio on and relax, I can make a chain that is worth talking about. My on the job filing is very good, but again, not 110% of what it could be.

I started when I was 11. I never tried a guide, dont know how to use one. I just use my right hand, one handed. turn the saw and do the opposite side of the chain the same way. Lately its a struggle for me. I have a callous developed where the palm of my hand meets the wrist. Thats where the pointed end of the file goes. I sort of push the pile to an extent by the pointed end with my palm/wrist junction. When I but my hand not long ago, it split the callous in half and now the pointed end of the file pushes into the new scar tissue. I cant file with gloves or a file handle either. it just doesnt work out for me.

Filing can alway's improve if there is interest, there are no limits. I meet guy's daily here that have 20-40 years in woods, still not knowing what a sharp saw is...

Wow, I never heard of those. Do they get big?
Not usually ,rarely 2 feet in diameter .Years ago they used to sawmill the stuff for planking for machinery trailers that carried dozers and tracked cranes etc .It's so tough it will withstand harsh conditions better that oak .In addition it's nearly rot proof .

It's not bad green but dry it's like cutting concrete .If you've ever cut dry hickory just about double that on osage .

Back