Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Filing Guides

Nick from Ohio Sponsor bonner1040's Avatar

Default Filing Guides

So, I am pretty bad at filing chain. I somehow seem to just make dull chain duller, so its something I always let other people do. Duane has a pair of the Pferd CS filing guides and I have to say that I like them alot.

I initially shied away cause it seemed silly but he convinced me to try them. Since I couldnt do much worse I figured what the heck why not. I actually file really sharp chain now. The guides take down the rakers and the cutter teeth at the same time and in theory keep the proportion between them uniform.

It may not be for everyone but its definitely for me!

http://www.forestapps.com/articles/P...tsFirewood.htm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PFERD2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	43976
    Nick from Ohio

I work with the coolest people in the world @ TreeStuff

I highly recommend BixVid. It cures any ailment, prevents injury and reverses pre-mature baldness.
    Gotta have BonnerVision

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Hey - if it works for you, so much the better! Nothing wrong with using a guide.

TreeHouser Sponsor woodworkingboy's Avatar

Wow, a double shot filer! I would never think to use something like that, but if it works for you, right on!
    Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the great mystery. ~ Oglala Sioux

It looks so corny, but it works really well!
    Nick from Ohio

I highly recommend BixVid. It cures any ailment, prevents injury and reverses pre-mature baldness.
    Gotta have BonnerVision

I don't think I'd want to take the rakers down EVERY time I filed. I like doing that every other, maybe every third time.

Old Schooler Sponsor gf beranek's Avatar

Filing saw chain is an art. No guides or years of experience is going to help you until you figure it out on your own.

I hand filed saw chain for 12 years before I figured it out. And only after that did my chains start cutting the way I only dreamed of.

I hand filed for 10 more years and then bought a chain grinder. And when I bought the grinder I had to learn all over again.

there are so many fine details with both methods that it is impossible to summarize. It just takes lots of practice, but with either method once you figure it out your chains will cut wood like it were butter.

I worked with so many tree guys and timber fallers through the years and not one of them could explain how exactly to sharpen a chain that I could fully understand and emulate.

It is easy to show in fine detail what a good sharp chain looks like. But attaining it in the field takes practice, practice and practice.

Patience be with all you young ones.

I would be a pretty lucky guy to be as good as you at sharpening chain! Thats something to aim for I guess.

Butch, I dont think they file the rakers everytime indiscriminately, only if they protrude past where the guide says they are supposed to be in relation to the cutter.
    Nick from Ohio

Gotta have BonnerVision

TreeHouser Sponsor woodworkingboy's Avatar

I have helped a few folks on their way to learn to file chain. Some get better. I find that the ones that have a problem advancing, aren't able to feel or see the edge to know what sharp is.
    Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the great mystery. ~ Oglala Sioux

I just tell em to keep the same angles on both side and to lift up on the stroke. Don't push down!

I also like to count the strokes, but that's just a guideline.

Old Schooler Sponsor gf beranek's Avatar

You hit the nail on the head, Jay. And I was one for a long time. 12 years I told you. I just went through the motions of filing without really knowing what I was doing.

I believe that today young'uns can learn earlier because of all the great info that is being passed over the internet.

with all trade tricks being passed on today it has to be the truth.

Man in the old days real good info was so damn hard to come by. Basically you had to learn on your own. Sadly the old timers I knew didn't have all the smarts to fully explain and pass on what they knew. and a lot of them had the attitude that you should learn on your own anyway.

Sad excuse today for one in a management position.