Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap bypass filters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cheap bypass filters

Found these on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_3109wt_1413

I bought 6 and 36 filters, you won't find a cheaper price on a bypass filter. They have a metric thread but I just drilled the thread out and retapped to 1/4 NPT so hoses are cheap too.

If you value your motors this is a cheap way to prolong their lives......

Tell us more. Where are you plumbing them into? Still use factory filter? Extended drain intervals? Things like that. I should put some sort of setup on each 7.3 I have, and the bucket truck.

I've got the coolant filters on the 7.3 already...
    trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them -unknown

"Today, me will live in the moment, unless it's unpleasant. In which case, me will eat a cookie". Cookie Monster

"Be as nice as your dog thinks you are"

Bamboo Plantation Owner Sponsor Tucker943's Avatar

Coolant filters you say? Tell me more.

Wow you have coolant filters but no bypass??

Bypass filters are used in conjunction with regular full flow filter which filters particles 40 + microns. Most engine wear is caused by particles of 10 microns and smaller. Bypass filter, filters about 1 quart per minute and filters out particles down to 1 micron so you have clean oil all the time. Google it, army core of engineers put a bypass filter on a tractor trailer and did one oil change after break in period and then ran it for 1 million miles, tore it down and they said the cross hatchings were still on the cylinders......

I run them and change my oil 1 time a year due to condensation contamination. For the price you could double your service interval and stop engine wear.

Quote Originally Posted by PCTREE View Post
    I run them and change my oil 1 time a year due to condensation contamination. For the price you could double your service interval and stop engine wear.
    Interesting thread, Paul. I was wondering, if these filters are so effective, why is water/condensation filtration the factor that you base oil change timing on, isn't water easier to filter out of oil than other tiny oil impurities?

On the chipper would be nice. Which bypass setup do you use Paul?

I have an older obsolete setup on my chipper and chip truck and knuckle boom, just got 6 of these listed and will put them on the chip truck trans, wheel loader engine and hydro oil, my and my wifes TDI cars and other stuff

What ports are you tapping into on the 7.3? I understand you need a feed and a drain into the pan...

Yes Chris, Coolant filters on my 7.3's. Will put one on the bucket too. I guess it's a common pre mature killer of the 7.3 (most diesels too) I guess, gotta maintain the SCA's and there is a ton of casting sand in there.

I get mine at dieselsite.com. $100 gets the kit. You can build your own for probably 30-40 piecing it together, but I like things to look "factory" and the time saved spent gathering the parts is worth the extra money for me.
    trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them -unknown

"Today, me will live in the moment, unless it's unpleasant. In which case, me will eat a cookie". Cookie Monster

"Be as nice as your dog thinks you are"

Bamboo Plantation Owner Sponsor Tucker943's Avatar

You've got my attention. I scored a free 6.0 tranny coooler for my 7.3 today and while im in a preventive maint frame of mind ill have to think over a coolant filter.

FWIW they used to put "doubles " on some of the Ford heavy duty industrial engines depending on the applications .I've got a couple of adapters some place in all my junk from 429 industrials .Believe it or not they also used double thermostats on some of them .One application I know of was a 429 used on Onan natural gas engines used for emergency power on micro wave towers .