Cheap bypass filters

Tell us more. Where are you plumbing them into? Still use factory filter? Extended drain intervals? Things like that. I should put some sort of setup on each 7.3 I have, and the bucket truck.

I've got the coolant filters on the 7.3 already...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow you have coolant filters but no bypass??

Bypass filters are used in conjunction with regular full flow filter which filters particles 40 + microns. Most engine wear is caused by particles of 10 microns and smaller. Bypass filter, filters about 1 quart per minute and filters out particles down to 1 micron so you have clean oil all the time. Google it, army core of engineers put a bypass filter on a tractor trailer and did one oil change after break in period and then ran it for 1 million miles, tore it down and they said the cross hatchings were still on the cylinders......

I run them and change my oil 1 time a year due to condensation contamination. For the price you could double your service interval and stop engine wear.

I have an older obsolete setup on my chipper and chip truck and knuckle boom, just got 6 of these listed and will put them on the chip truck trans, wheel loader engine and hydro oil, my and my wifes TDI cars and other stuff

What ports are you tapping into on the 7.3? I understand you need a feed and a drain into the pan...

Yes Chris, Coolant filters on my 7.3's. Will put one on the bucket too. I guess it's a common pre mature killer of the 7.3 (most diesels too) I guess, gotta maintain the SCA's and there is a ton of casting sand in there.

I get mine at dieselsite.com. $100 gets the kit. You can build your own for probably 30-40 piecing it together, but I like things to look "factory" and the time saved spent gathering the parts is worth the extra money for me.

You've got my attention. I scored a free 6.0 tranny coooler for my 7.3 today and while im in a preventive maint frame of mind ill have to think over a coolant filter.

FWIW they used to put "doubles " on some of the Ford heavy duty industrial engines depending on the applications .I've got a couple of adapters some place in all my junk from 429 industrials .Believe it or not they also used double thermostats on some of them .One application I know of was a 429 used on Onan natural gas engines used for emergency power on micro wave towers .

B 7.3s are easy to tap into, right above the spin on oil filter is 1/4 npt plug. Pull it out and screw in a hydraulic hose leading to the filter. It might be more tricky to find a spot to put it as they are pretty big. I returned mine through the plastic oil filler cap but to do it better pull off valve cover and tap it in there.

It would be cool to see a 'before' and 'after' picture of used oil with the addition of a bypass filter. I think it would be a good selling point to people. Naturally, people will be putting clean oil in with their new filter, though.

Google fs2500, they have a demonstration that is pretty impressive, they put a bunch of soot in oil then filter it for a few minutes and totally clean it up....

My buddy put a by-pass filter on his 6.4(ford) and after a 1k it was the cleanist diesel oil I'd ever seen. I should look into doing it myself I think.

for less than a hundred bucks why wouldn't you??? cannot imagine why folks aren't interested, I putting one on my f550 trans also.

I'm interested for sure. I've never bought off of e-bay before though. I'll probably have to pay through the nose locally.

Yup thinking Im just going to get a 3 way T as it comes out the trans run it through the filter and back in the other cooler line. Im worried about that trans boy since I just got a 9K chipper:O

Sounds like a good idea. Ive got a leaking real seal. As soon as I get that fixed I'm putting a mag hytec deep pan on it. Might as well do the filter mod as well

Just looked at the mag hytec pans, looks cool. Wonder if you couldn't just tack some fins on your existing pan???

It is a fact that deep dump tranny pans do wonders. The torqshift trannies on Fords are pretty strong but the old e4od trannies had a huge boost in life expectancy with a deep pan. Mine will be getting a tranny cooler from a 6.0 psd next week. My uncle is a senior master diesel tech for Ford and has sworn that deep sump pans make a huge difference. Oddly enough though, he says more ford trannies cook from bad tranny coolers then anything else.

I run them and change my oil 1 time a year due to condensation contamination. For the price you could double your service interval and stop engine wear.

Interesting thread, Paul. I was wondering, if these filters are so effective, why is water/condensation filtration the factor that you base oil change timing on, isn't water easier to filter out of oil than other tiny oil impurities?

Back