Small filing tip

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's another point to ponder .A majority of people file from one side and may hit a number of cutters before advancing the chain .

I on the other hand file from both sides over the top near the engine ,lefty ,righty, lefty .They really isn't much shake rattle and roll with that method .Maybe only two,three cutters then advance the chain .It isn't however a method most are comfortable with .

Ok, while on the subject, do most guys file using using both hands ambidextrously on each side of cutters, or is all filing done with the dominant 1 hand on each side of cutters? I go ambidextrous and do all one side then all the other side.

I file in a messed up way. Two hands on the file, file all one side pulling, flip the saw 180 and then file the other side but pushing. Still both ways with a curl to the file. Heh it works for me.

I guess you might say I'm ambi on a lot of things such as filing ,welding ,etc .

I can't however manage to pizz left handed without hitting my shoe which I guess is TMI .:lol:

I file with a curl on the file as well. Logging buddy taught me that when I was little. He said you don't really have to do with the self cleaning files. But it stuck with me, now it's just the way things happen..

Sorry, curl=twist file as its run thru. Your files aren't self cleaning, Jay? Must not have the angle of the dangle correct!!!

Another good tip is when filing down the depth gauge/rakers, simply place the bar spanner over the cutter, and flat file against the spanner, much more precise than free hand.

I suppose like everything else many have prefered methods on the rakers .Just a standard old cheap Oregon 25 thou. guide has worked for me .What you might hit the rakers 4-5 times during the life of a chain ?

Ahhh... Gentlemen: Take a little tip from Max Adams (63 year-old timber cutter from Southern Oregon--Willie will laugh at the mere mention of his name).

Leave the chain loose! Then ram a 12" wedge on the under side of the bar, between the bar and chain, with the palm of your hand. Then set the brake. Works like the champ of champs. Cory: try this--I swear you'll never do it the old way again.
I gotta ask does Mr. Adams file square ground or does he round file like what us blokes do?
I would say square file from a 63 yr old timber faller in southern Oregon. Then I can see jamming a wedge. Square filing a chisel bit chain is a whole different bird then round filing.
Filing down against the cutting edge of the cutters with the bar pointing to the sky and the powerhead between your feet, while sitting on a stump. You need a well trained eye and hand to get thoses angles just right.
But to put an edge on a round filed chain forget about over tensioning the chain and then re-tensioning after filing is done. Don't apply the chain brake.
When it's time to touch up the chain is also time to re-tension the chain usually anyways. I file each cutter then move it ahead to the next cutter to be filed with my left thumb. I'm in a comfortable position with steady consistent momentem at one spot of the guide bar. Not over reaching or under reaching all over the length of the guide bar.

Here I am in the first photo filing the right hand cutters , 2nd photo I'm filing the left hand cutters. Always file the R.H. cutters first, because if you file the L.H. cutters first [2nd photo] and then while filing the R.H. hand cutters if you should slip out of the gullet with the file your knuckle will meet a freshly sharpened cutter.
You never slip out on the left hand cutters with my filing technique [2nd photo].
SDC11960.jpg SDC11959.jpg

Willard as far as I know you alone are the only person on the face of this green earth that can file a chain that way .Fact being I have no idea how you even do it .

People think I'm rather odd with my over the top method of lefty righty but I bow to you on that one because I doubt I could do it .

Willard as far as I know you alone are the only person on the face of this green earth that can file a chain that way .Fact being I have no idea how you even do it .

People think I'm rather odd with my over the top method of lefty righty but I bow to you on that one because I doubt I could do it .
Not hard at all Al. You can get practiced up doing my technique by mounting the saw in a bench vise. Sprocket cover facing you to file the left hand cutters and rewind facing you to file the right hand cutters.
Easy peasy, you don't even have to take the b/c off the powerhead.

I get a kink in my neck just watching Willard.
Very comfortable natural positioning while sitting on a stump [or chair]. Hugging that powerhead when its warm on a cold day feels really nice. When its a hot day you just file those left hand cutters faster:D
Give it a try.

If I can file in a vice I do, especially the bigger saws. There are many times I will file like Willard on his right side cutters sitting down. I switch the saw to the left knee with left hand though for the left side.

I mounted a vise on the bucket truck just for filing.
I'd post a picture but I cannot access my photobucket account right now.

I switch the saw to the left knee with left hand though for the left side.
Fred are you saying you file with both hands, right handed and left handed?

I learned to round file from the best, from loggers who were filing chainsaws since the late 1940's. To be an expert hand filer you have to train only one hand.

I mounted a vise on the bucket truck just for filing.
I'd post a picture but I cannot access my photobucket account right now.
Brian I do my best hand filing in a vise too, best control.
But any serious woodcutter has to learn to file or quickly touch up a chain sitting right on the stump at the work site.

Back