Husqvarna 562xp

Thanks Magnus, it's all new technology to me.:?

Chris when I bought my 562 late last summer I didn't follow the manuals instructions of running it WOT out of the box for the first 5 minutes. I just started cutting with it normalily. A week later it flooded when I tried to start it while warm after sitting for 5-10 minutes, I didn't use the choke. So I had hold the throttle wide open and throw start it [like the old timers used to do];)
Got it going then ripped a block like I said earlier. Never had a problem since.
Depending on the month your 562 was assembled at the factory determines alot of the programing these saws have. I know the early models had issues and needed a recall as we all know about.

The programming should be updated before sale, so it is of little importance.
It must bee hooked up started and run before customer gets it.

The programming should be updated before sale, so it is of little importance.
It must bee hooked up started and run before customer gets it.
At the time when I bought my 562 about 4-5 mths ago I know my dealer didn't have the software, but he has since received it. So I suspect his distributer must have set the saw up. From seeing the saw had a 1/2 tank of fuel in it when I bought it new someone ran it up. This is the first new saw I bought that had gas in the tank.
I always had instructed my dealers in the past not to run them up.

Actually sounds a bit scary, computers in saws 'learning' how to run...who woulda thunk it?

I think this could be a good thing perhaps in some saws, but not for pro's.
Those who need it are those who use saws very little. Those who run saws daily have saws serviced in shop regularly or learn them self.

For someone like Burnham who who's elevation changed several 1000feet during a day, a saw that adjusts itself would have been a fine thing, I think.

Also most of the young pros around here have no idea about adjusting a saw, apart from the idle screw.

It is, like manual logging, a dying art.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ya Magnus, I think you're wrong there. When the pros outweigh the cons, professionals will buy it, even with a hefty price tag.

I don't get all this hype about elevation. If you run a saw at one ot 1000 feet above water level is not important at all.
Hight don't matter much as only gravity increase. As long as pump can hack it there is no issue with altitudes.
The air itself, moisture, content, pressure ets, that do affect and do so what ever elevation you are at if it change.
Humidity is what affect most.
Moisture is often different in different heights, but it is not the hight that make the difference.

Setting saws after hight is a ridiculous load of crap that is used as excuse to put blame on something.
When you run saws you notice they act different in different weathers. Humid air need one setting as opposed to dry.

Ya Magnus, I think you're wrong there. When the pros outweigh the cons, professionals will buy it, even with a hefty price tag.

Oh, they buy it... Not becurse I am wrong, but becurse of good marketing and a product that appeals to them.

Most pros around here wish they could set the saws, I know that much...

For someone like Burnham who who's elevation changed several 1000feet during a day, a saw that adjusts itself would have been a fine thing, I think.

Also most of the young pros around here have no idea about adjusting a saw, apart from the idle screw.

It is, like manual logging, a dying art.
When I grew up I could hear loggers that went 6monts without a shop visit. A year without major repairs...
I doubt today's loggers are more stupid. Just less informed and work with saws that are not built as strong.
Manual loggers will always be needed. There is a huge difference now though, saws are built to last a year, cost double and with 50% more cost in maintenance and repairs.
The fact that they know less today than before is sadly the MFG and dealers fault as they don't teach them.

Magnus, have you ever driven a carburated car in high mountains.
Like 3-4000 meters above sea level. Try that and tell me again that lack of oxygen doesn't matter to the setting of an engine.

Or for that matter, just SRT a tall tree at 2,500 meters above sea level and ask your lungs:lol:

I ran my 562 the other day with an outdoor temperature of -30C, I installed the winter kit rewind housing cover that came with the saw and pulled the plug in the top cover. After a good warm up the saw cut like a banshee just like it did months earlier in hot weather. Nothing to adjust.
If this was my 372XP I would have had to richen up the high speed screw and then set it back if the weather warmed up. And everyone who has experience setting up a 372XP knows how a PITA it is to find the adjustment screws on this saw with the spongy mounted carburator .
My old style 272XP is a breeze to adjust the carb even when it's running. Like the 272XP long gone are the days when a pro logger carried a screwdriver in his pocket and could adjust his WOT to peak effiency.

Having said all that, running these auto tune saws here in Canada where outdoor temps can go from minus -40 to plus +40 within a few months proves how well these computer saws run with maximum effiency, even for the pros.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ive had to rejet atv's to ride high up into the rocky mountains. Altitude is everything Magnus.

If you find the tree, I set the saw at ground level, you climb it 2-3000 meters and try to run the chainsaw I promise you I will make that saw run.
We have a deal?

My point is that setting a saw after current conditions is something loggers done thru out history.
The saws are no different now than before they need to be set after current conditions.

If it is by altitude, humidity or temp, they still need to me set.

The auto tunes will not know what altitude you are at as the saw has no GPS... Yet...
Perhaps we can get them to add that and a clock with calender too so it knows when it is there too..

Or we continue focusing on combustion as the autotune system is for just that, and try to get it to set itself after current situation every 3 minute runtime.

So autotune is of no benefit at all then as it has no clue of altitude?
It starts to register/compute after 60sek runtime. I was told it resets every three minute runtime.
Resetting saws is a must, either if we wrenchers do it, saw do it after a fixed data program or if operator do it, they still need it.
Here we have -15 one day +10 the next. On and of with winter covers after weather conditions rather than from temp.

If I remember correctly travelling across Sweden the country is flat:lol:
Well, I guess that depends what you concidder flat is.
Were were you travelling?

Elevation hights here of 100 meters is pretty easy. I live at the lowest part of Sweden in south. About 0.6m above sea level.
Moisture is what we set saws after here, it can change in a hour enough that they get hard to start or not run correct.
Especially when sea is cold and warming up.

So how high do you need to go until oxygen level changes enough to re set the saw? Is it more or less moisture?

The ranger station/shop sits at about 150 meters, where I'd usually service my saws. When the work was above 1000 meters, and certainly by the time I'd get to 1500 meters, the saws would run a bit rich. They'd run ok, but not to optimal, especially for a serious amount of cutting . If I needed to cut at 2000 meters, as was the case from time to time, adjustment was needed, I felt.

066 and 460 somewhat more so than 036, 361, 260, or 200, I think.

Yup.... what Burnam said...
Our dealer here adjusts the saws at 2000 feet, I live at 3200 feet (no big difference). go up to 7-8000 feet..... Big difference.

Well, I guess that depends what you concidder flat is.
Were were you travelling?

Elevation hights here of 100 meters is pretty easy. I live at the lowest part of Sweden in south. About 0.6m above sea level.
I took the train from Trondheim, Norway, then near the Swedish border near Hegra the tracks are about 5 meters from my Grandfathers farm house, from there we went straight to Stockholm. Very flat country what I saw.
Here in Manitoba on the flat Canadian prairies we have several elevations of high hills, the highest being 832 meters or 2,730 feet. Next door in my home province Saskatchewan the highest hill is 1,468 meters or 4,816 feet.

No a auto tune saw doesn't need GPS for altitude ha ha , all it needs is the sensors that read rich and lean off the carb as the temps, altitude etc. change the carbs feeding habits.

Yep, You are sorta painting yourself into a corne, here.

Reason I mentioned Burnham is I visited him a couple of years back and saw the area, where he used to work.
Compared to my woods, his are damned near vertical:lol:

I took the train from Trondheim, Norway, then near the Swedish border near Hegra the tracks are about 5 meters from my Grandfathers farm house, from there we went straight to Stockholm. Very flat country what I saw.
Here in Manitoba on the flat Canadian prairies we have several elevations of high hills, the highest being 832 meters or 2,730 feet. Next door in my home province Saskatchewan the highest hill is 1,468 meters or 4,816 feet.

No a auto tune saw doesn't need GPS for altitude ha ha , all it needs is the sensors that read rich and lean off the carb as the temps, altitude etc. change the carbs feeding habits.
The saw has no clue what altitude it is in. New or old still the same.
Dealer, operator or saw itself need to set the saw after the current conditions. This can change fast and at same altitude even.
Setting a saw after altitude don't mean one bit.
People get hung up on altitude as it is to be a standard to how to set a saw.
It is not more accurate than a basic/factory setting and can give severe consequences.
It is just as bad as setting a saw after rpm's. It means nothing! If if saw is set on a hot dry day it will still need to be reset on a cold humid day. Could be minutes, hrs, day's, and a variety of altitudes, still needs to be set correctly after current conditions...

Even though it is auto tune operator still need to keep a ear open and listen to the saw, check plugs and fuel settings to learn and be sure it runs OK. Run them hot it will cost. There is lots of issues with this here and everyone is looking for something to put blame on. Fact is they run hot, spin bearings, cook, fri rod bearings and all kinds of heat related issues. I promice Altitude is not a factor in this, it should not matter at all what altitude it is in.
Same as without auto tune except without operator can set it correct if he knows how. With autotune you can run diagnostic's, upload new software and reset/start over.
Not saying it is better or worse with or without. Saw has no clue what altitude it is on, or conditions it is run in, I know that much!

Magnus Im starting to question your saw knowledge bro.
That is OK.

Last edited:

We call it Fjäll. It is above treeline and no real forest grow there. Scenery is much like the mountains of New Hampshire.

Perhaps not really mountains as you see it...
When you go from Trondheim to Stockholm and are out in flat area you have been in Sweden half the trip sofar.
In center of Fjellet is the border. After that it is pretty flat to Stockholm.
Here is some pic's from Selbu this summer. Selbu is about a hour south of Trondheim.
I think it is around 1500 miles round trip. 750 there, about 800 home as we did a detour and visited a friend too..
http://www.chainsawcollectors.se/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=255&t=18665

This is from trip there.

CIMG8105.JPG

CIMG8125.JPG

This is about 200 meters above treeline.

CIMG8156.JPG

CIMG8159.JPG

Highest we were was around 1000m Lowest was at my house at 0,6m.
we went over several ridges with 500-800 differance in hight.

Perhaps not that much, but not flat.
Highest point in Sweden is around 2000m.

Here is my thinking on how this Autotune works and may help explain Magnus's thinking some too.

The saws are to small to run a loop system like a car with a o2 sensor giving the computer feedback on fueling changes.

So based on the fact that the set up for these saws has you or the dealer running it wide open for 5 minutes. Leads me to believe that the computer is using the rev-limiter to adjust/set the saw for the correct fuel ratio for that operating parameter. Much the same as you do now manually on a carb saw with a tach.

So any time that you would normally check your old saw for mixture, say from altitude or temperature change. With the autotune you would need to retune it through this high speed run-up.

YMMV

Back