Gardening - Growing Your Own.

Dog wee wee must have some stronger stuff than human because they seem to kill stuff off easier .Maybe it's the leg .I'll have to practice hiking my leg on a poison ivy vine or something from a distance of course .See how this stuff goes ---:lol:

My bud planted two ornamentals, butterfly bush I think. The one right by his deck he whizzes on pretty often. He says it is doing much better than the other one.

About time you showed up again, I was getting worried.:)

Old tree guy that lived near me used to say he did it to his tomatoes and they liked it.

Well, he was old to me then about mid fifties. By the time he left the pub he'd be pissing everywhere.

Nice bloke and a tough guy once, but grog and cigarettes ended that.

I just finished canning 50 quarts of jalapenos.

Now I'll go start the charcoal grill and roast a bunch, to preserve in oil/vinegar.

Getting ready for winter, here:)

Wife has the next 4 batches set up to make another 60 pints of salsa.

It was a bumper crop of cucumbers this year in spite of lack of rain .Tomatoes did fairly well .My DIL is getting a few every so often as myself and Mrs Smith can't possibley eat them all .The DIL has just taken up home canning and seems to enjoy it .

This late in the year the tomatoes ripen slower and get rather tough skinned .Everything kind of slows down about the first week of September .

I planted a patch of sweet corn late, thinking that it probably wouldn't make it to a crop before the cold set in. We had a run of consistently hot weather and now we are eating the corn. It worked out well. A few lingering tomatoes, but that is about it.

An update vid for my garden area.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ycxu1UjSU1g?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can grow quite a bit in a limited space .Just Google "crockets victory garden " or "square foot gardening " .

Way back went I was in Norfolk we had several tomato plants in 5 gallon buckets on the terrace at the apartment .You had to be dilligent in watering them though but they did grow tomatoes .

Believe it of not I still have tomatoes vine ripening .They are slow to turn red though this late in the season .I suppose they are still alive do to the fact we've yet to have a killing frost plus the garden plot is basically in the center of a woods .

You know trees are kind of like natures' air conditioning in the fact the both absorb heat plus give off a little heat .

Ed gave me a great recipe for green tomato chutney, so I found a use for those of mine, that didn't make it to ripeness before the first frost:)

Years ago I planted some Burpee Long Keeper tomatoes. We picked them just before the frost and wrapped them in newsprint. Like you said Al, not like vine ripened, but better than the crap they used to have on the store shelves. With hydroponic tomatoes available year round at least we have a better choice.

There's methods like wrapping green tomatoes in newspaper or hanging the vines with green tomatoes upside down where it won't freeze .You can still have some about Christmas time .

Last year I bought 30 blueberry bushes. Got them for $5 each from a wholesaler, they were about 3 years old. A local gardening place wanted $15 for one bush, one year old. What a ripoff.

I went to put them in the ground and realized I didn't have enough room for 30, so gave ten away to friends.
Now this spring they're laden with berries. I sure hope the S.O. has some good recipes.

Anyone want blueberries next month? I think I'll be giving a few away.

Back