Gardening - Growing Your Own.

We really don't garden much as my father in law goes above and beyond. Trevin near 950 tomato plants. Some friends weeding several hundred peppers with my f-i-l in the background turning weeds between corn rows

Attachments

• 2012-07-07 11.21.27.jpg
    2012-07-07 11.21.27.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 2012-07-07 12.16.27.jpg
    2012-07-07 12.16.27.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 16
I've seen that, and it is totally awesome.

It is like a vegetarian version of Valhalla:D

Yeah, farmer at heart. This is the cake we got him for his birthday, the party is today. Sorry Stig, the corn will be fouled by sharing the grill with a couple tri tip:D

We really don't garden much as my father in law goes above and beyond. Trevin near 950 tomato plants. Some friends weeding several hundred peppers with my f-i-l in the background turning weeds between corn rows

How does he handle the tomato vines, Willie? Stakes, trellis, cages? I thought my dad had a bunch with 200+, but 950? WOW!

Just bush em, no need for cages unless you want your garden purdy or don't have much room

Willie, if I had the climate for it, that is how my garden would be.

As it is I'm really happy with the poly-dome, 42 tomato plants are better than none.

Willie, if I had the climate for it, that is how my garden would be.

As it is I'm really happy with the poly-dome, 42 tomato plants are better than none.

Any pics of the poly-dome, Stig? (Or have you posted them in another thread?) I'm thinking of building a hoop top over at least one of our raised beds so we can get some stuff in the ground earlier next spring.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The point of this thread was to enlighten me as to which vegetables are the the most popular to grow.

Unbunch your skivvies, Stig.

So, what are the top veggies to grow? Potato's? Carrots? Lettuce?

Let's hear it. :drink:

Just a reminder.

No problem, Butch.

I just like to jerk your chain once in a while.

That said, I also think you do one hell of a fine job moderating us all.
Compared to all the other treework forums this one ROCKS, and is the only one I care to hang out in.
You have managed to get some of the best, experienced and most of all, friendly ( I should know, having visited a bunch of them) tree-people to join this community ( Ooops, commie word, sorry!) I give you an humongus amount of credit for that.

So don't take it hard when I give your chain a little jerk once in a while:)

Besides, I don't wear skivvies, I wear panties on weekends, as stated in another thread.:lol:

I thought that bush tomatoes were normally for tomato juice. I guess that you don't get much rain during the growing season or the tomatoes would tend to crack. What does your fil do with what all he produces, Willie?

Some years we don't get a drop of rain from May thru October. He sells them and gives them away. Last year was the first time he went 200 tomatoes, he did 600. Something about it really drives him to grow stuff. He does pumpkins, winter squash, summer squash, cantaloupe, water melon, cukes, strawberries and on and on

By bush, I mean he just lets them bush, he has 20 varieties of tomatoes going i'd bet

A well maintained vegee garden is a beautiful things, I can see why your fil enjoys it.

Butch, I think that tomatoes, green peppers, and eggplant, is often a staple in folk's gardens. Pretty easy to grow. I'm digging what is called sunny lettuce. It doesn't form a head, but after you pick the leaves it keeps replenishing itself, keeps going on and on quickly filling out again. The lettuce is very soft but not limp when fresh, perfect if you like salads. I eat salad for breakfast now. :/:

This thread has me bumming out that i didn't plant a garden. I should have. I even have a rototiller.

Till it up, put in some herbs under a shade cloth, and throw in some hills of red potatoes...still time to get new ones, oh so sweet and tasty.

Tomatoes and strawberry,I would like to grow butter beans.

Back