Gardening - Growing Your Own.

My dad brought a couple of buckets of tomatoes last night. Too bad I don't like them.....

0087eed5.jpg

I recently read about why store bought tomatoes are so bland tasting. It said that they had isolated a gene that made some types so attractive looking, but it also gave the lack of taste. As a result, things could improve in that regard in the future, it went on to say. Homegrown fresh must make some difference too, as it does in other vegetables.

That is true. Sugar production must take a hit with early picking. I've been eating salads with lettuce picked an hour before, the softer kind that doesn't form a head. Very tasty. Most is so much better fresh picked, maybe not some root crops so much, like onions and taters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I used to cultivate my own ganja. If you harvested it too early or too late, you had an inferior product.

It's all in the picking. :drink:

I've got all the usual garden staples this year as well as about 60 head of garlic that are about to come ready soon. Our first garlic crop, I can hardly wait. We've already been enjoying lettuce/spinach from our own garden, we stagger planting and location throughout the year to extend our greens. Next batch will come up shaded by the corn to help with the heat. Everything else is pretty early still for these parts. Sunflowers are fun to grow too I think.

Can't seem to eat enough lettuce. Just keeps on coming. Kohlrabi was good in the stir fry the other night along with some fresh cabbage. Made some Frittata with some of the zuchini and summer squash as well. Wish the tomatoes were in. Lilly is chowing on strawberries like mad and the raspberries are starting to come in. Leeks are ready anytime, rutabaga as well. Corn is coming along. Good garden this year :)

Pretty tough year here for the garden...cool and wet enough to delay even getting started until several weeks later than usual.

Red potatoes, cherry tomatoes, sugar peas and green beans, a goodly amount of basil, some parsely. The blueberry bushes are loaded.

I remember those blueberries you brough for our ride around Mt. Hood, Burnham.

As a matter of fact they inspired me to plant some bushes next to the house this year, where the deer hopefully won't chew on them too badly.

My problem is that I have trained all my dogs to not chase deer, and the frigging deer know that!

Get yourself a poly dome as a retirement present, you won't regret it.

I sold off a load of elm burl and used the money to buy my wife a nice big green house, when she retired 2 years ago.

The new polydome is a lot less than ½ the price per square foot ( Square meter, actually, just being polite!) and works just as fine for producing veggies.

Not so fine for sitting in, having your morning cup of coffee at a nice , faux Parisian, cooffee table and chair set, I have to admit.

Anyone here doing aerial feeding, either liquified compost or fish or seaweed emulsion, anything like that? It is an expanding topic in agriculture. i get very good results using the method, and my own concoctions, not the store bought stuff. The response by plants is very quick, more so than with just side dressing. Yield enhancements seem to differ with the species of plants. Another possible advantage are the claims that it can also aid in fending off disease, but still a lot of research seems to be going into the practice. Drought prone periods when plants are not feeding well from their roots, can in particular get a boost from aerial feeding. Good soil conditions are without comparison when it comes to plant health, but I find that the spray feeding can provide a good system of supplemental nourishment to the plants. Use can be frequent or not so, depending on the soil fertility. I use organic spray, and the vegees love it. A good way to pick them up during a period of sluggishness.

I remember those blueberries you brough for our ride around Mt. Hood, Burnham.

As a matter of fact they inspired me to plant some bushes next to the house this year, where the deer hopefully won't chew on them too badly.

My problem is that I have trained all my dogs to not chase deer, and the frigging deer know that!

Get yourself a poly dome as a retirement present, you won't regret it.

I sold off a load of elm burl and used the money to buy my wife a nice big green house, when she retired 2 years ago.

The new polydome is a lot less than ½ the price per square foot ( Square meter, actually, just being polite!) and works just as fine for producing veggies.

Not so fine for sitting in, having your morning cup of coffee at a nice , faux Parisian, cooffee table and chair set, I have to admit.

We're thinking about re-purposing the old double pane house windows that are being replaced into a greenhouse. Probably will.

Greenhouses themselves are an interesting subject .It's amazing the amount of heat they can generate from basically passive solar collection .

It would be an interesting project if a person had an outside wood burner using hot water to circulate the heat .You could not only heat the greenhouse but also redirect the passive solar to help heat the dwelling if you did it right .

Got the first of the "crops " today . 8 nice cucumbers .Toms' lady was here visiting my wife so I gave her several .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was thinking the same thing. I'm glad Al doesn't make his own sausage!

Back