Gardening - Growing Your Own.

It is a piss off, but on the other hand I don't make a living from it.
Same with all my cherry trees.
With some 30+ trees we get maybe 17 cherries this year.
It was just so cold when they bloomed, there was not a pollinator in sight.
Last year we had a great crop, and just as they were ripe, it rained for 2 weeks.
Turned them all to mush.
The wasp had a great time, I didn't.

But again, it is just a hobby.

Hell, two years ago my crabapple tree got hailed out, along with everything else.

Honestly, I was more pissed about the tree than the crops.

I might have said some terrible things while standing outside, watching the hail. Might be why we got flooded last year and droughted out this year.

If I was God and had to listen to people curse, I'd not be hanging out in Montana.
I'd make my job easier and go to a greater concentration of people, like L.A.

Also: " CLEAR YOUR FRIGGING INBOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I'm trying in vain to PM you.

Abundance of rain .Things are growing leaps and bounds .I think the field corn is growing 6" a day .Tomatoes are starting up the trellis ,before they are done they'll be over 8 feet high if every thing goes well .I only put out half a dozen this year .

In this part of the country being a lake state with lake Erie to the north the precipitation will equal out over a 2 year period .The last two winters had little snow fall so it will rain like a cow pissing on a flat rock at times .

Rain smashed my spinach. Not an easy to grow crop I find, like other greens grow no problem. Corn coming to maturity, tomatoes turning red. Peppers and beans giving take homes. Giving away cucumbers.

Wish I could send some water, Jim. Here it's hardly ever a question of getting rain, usually it's too much or not. Down south almost always too much. Typhoons be lining up out in the Pacific soon to start rolling in.

After the non-spring and the worst summer since 1979, the polytunnel plants are finally starting to produce a bit.

Richard and I have been grilling and canning jalapenos today.
Man, they just taste so good off the grill, so both of us were munching away at them.
Should get a second harvest in about a month from now and some stragglers later.
That should about be enough to keep the wolf from the door, come winter:)

Resized_20170806_175212.jpg

Veggies aren’t really his thing.

They’re not really my favourite, but they can’t all be stars can they?

Best roasted with the Sunday joint.

Deep rooters like that are great for improving the soil quality, even more so when allowed to die and decompose in the ground they are grown in. So much so that it is worth planting things like parsnips and daikon radishes in any area you can tolerate their presence.

Man, that is the parsnip that ate Cincinnati!

Chopped into inch thick chunks and broiled is also good.

Back