Gardening - Growing Your Own.

Poly tunnel is your answer, Jim.
You don't have near the evaporation when stuff groes uder plastic.

I'll see if I can get some pictures of mine to show you.

Well I got my boxes levelled and filled and plunked in maters, onions, peppers, cauliflower, and cucumbers so far. Hopefully they go!

Jim, your garden need not be barren, y'know that there are some types of Cactus that you can grow in cold winter climates.

They guarantee the plastic for 4 years.
But that is not wildly expensive to redo.
This is a 60 square meters tunnel, that costs about $500 to put new plastic on.

I have 67 tomatoes in 14 different varieties, 47 chilies /peppers in 9 varieties, but mostly jalapenos, 10 aubergine, 3 cucumbers , 5 melons and a gazillion sweet basil, some cilantro and parsley.

The ground cloth keeps the weeds away and prevents evaporation.

Normally the plants would be bigger, but we had the coldest spring ever recorded, so I got a very late start.

The tomatoes are growing like crazy to catch up, it'll be fun to see how much everything has grown when I come back after 10 days in the Alps.

Just made pesto genovese for dinner, because I had to cut the tops off all the basil to make them set more stems.
Yum.
Got a single squash too, just so we get some early ones, while waiting for the garden to produce.

Nice greenhouse, Stig. I remember a bad snowfall year when lots of those were crushed. It was a "Three Little Pigs"story. People weren't laughing anymore at the ones that built their houses sturdy.

I don't have a house, but I put down black plastic sheeting to keep away the weeds. They sell it here in rolls of different thickness, available with spaced holes or no holes and you cut your own. You just have to anchor it so the wind doesn't blow it around, either pinning it to the ground of covering the edges with soil. It helps warm up the soil as well for spring planting. Nearly everyone uses it as with the rain in the warmer months comes weeds that are too much.

I live in a world with serious vegetable growers. Someone was scolding me recently because my plastic sheet wasn't straight! :dontknow:

Question for Willie

How often do you water those tomatoes? They don't seem to like water like other veggies.

We did get a few tenths the other night so I worked the garden.

Planted a bunch of peppers, even Hungarian!

Tomatoes, potatoes, onions, cabbages, cucumbers, sweet basil(idea from Stig) strawberries, raspberries. All stuff bought from town.

Still got the seeds to go in, but it is fixing to rain Monday and Tuesday. Get the rest in then.

Right on! I got a couple more things planted myself. Carrots and some zucchini and squash! Things are going slowly though. The weather has been crap. I would gladly send some of my rain your way this year.

Here's mine, toms, celery, marrows, courgettes, peppers, onions, runner beans, gooseberries, strawberries.....

(The wife's domain really)

Attachments

• IMG_1585.jpg
    IMG_1585.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 23
Rich and loamy, pretty good really.

On the subject of building and gardening we're freshening up a corner of the garden.

Greenhouse getting slabbing around it, new wall to tidy up.

Stuff costs money! I'm hurting a bit in the wallet.

Attachments

• IMG_1586.jpg
    IMG_1586.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 21
It is a good thing that I'm not Irish.
Then I'd have to emigrate to the US........................Wait, what the hell am I saying here?

Anyway, we had " A perfect storm" for grey mold.
One of those times when lots of spores coincidence with the right humidity and temperature.

All the potatoes are gone ( Hence the Irish thing)
Most of my tomatoes got hit real bad while I was in Sweden.
I've sprayed them with Sulphur and it looks like at least some of them may survive.

This may be of interest to other tomato growers here, the " True black beauty and Blue gold berries" are both sort of going: " Mold.........what mold?"
They appear to be immune.

Chilies are going good and I've put about 20 pds of pesto genovese in the freezer so far.

So it is not a total sob story.

Next year Ill do the sulphur spraying before the mold shows up, one learns and grows.

Still pisses me off no end, to lose the tomatoes.

Back