Gardening - Growing Your Own.

Yes, Jim, that is an element that already occurred to me, being more involved with the operation than just doing the tasks with no connection beyond that. Interesting to read you say about your mind being active. Repetitive work is a somewhat complex phenomenon. I've run up against it with varying results. It can be pleasurable. To some extent a learned skill. I think a good ability to do such is kind of an enlightenment.

Yeah, good point, planting seeds is easy, little calculation involved and not much fear of losing a finger or being maimed in other ways. I guess a gopher could bite your finger off by mistake, though. Anything else threatening living under ground? A little danger could add interest.

I'm the guy who is literally constantly having a conversation with myself in my head, thinking and analyzing something, so menial tasks are a great opportunity for solitude and thought. I love the chance to work by myself out in the garden.

Joel Salatin is one of the smartest farmer-philosophers around, and one of my heroes. He is a guiding light for sustainable agriculture, real food, and healing the land using grass and pastured animals. For anyone wanting to learn more about him, I would start with his book: Folks, This Ain't Normal

He has done multiple TED talks on this stuff as well. Check this one out: Can real food from real farms lead to real health?

The animals leave me alone, Jay. They know better.

Muggs, have you been over to the Sustainability thread? Probably so. Its a good thread.

I am a Gabe Brown....er, follower, I guess.

My idea of sustainability is producing crops and animals off the same land, while using fewer chemicals, conserving water, and less fuel.

We have forgotten so much in the last 70 years, but there seems to be a real awakening lately.

Hopefully it lasts past the next upward trend in commodity prices. When times are good people forget.

Here's where we are, 1/3 acre corn thats up, 4 long rows that's sprouted but not up yet, 4 rediculous rows of tomatoes and a field with 5000 corn seeds just started, more to come of corn, no doubt at least several hundred more tomatoes, peppers going in Wednesday, melons, pumpkins and winter squash still to come. Old man's going out with a bang!
9369a2095277d12689d9aecf3b16b27d.jpg
197d262bd0d898fa91d99a43943cbb8d.jpg
28c29c9fb6838b88d46e8ca54a85e8e3.jpg
7fb8fbd1801eb23b833dd00c2e9e8bd6.jpg

Willie, he's going to leave you to take care of the weeds? :|:

Does he plant only one corn variety? Not concerned about cross pollination if mixed?

What's he do with all that produce?

Haha, no Jay, he's taking a week next month to go see her but they're not planning to marry till Thanksgiving time.
He usually plants several varieties but only 2 this year . I think he should stick with 2 always . As to cross pollination he plants 1 variety in its own field. Others are separated by pollination/tassel timing.
Some goes to our church conventions every year, the rest he sells, trades and gives away

Jim, my ex wife and ex girlfriend both have anxiety issues.

Meditation is supposed to help a good bit.

It's something to explore. If you're anxious at night and would head for the liquor, a YouTube guided meditation can do wonders.

Some types of meditation are better for anxiety than others.

Exercise is another. Maybe you have days of more labor than others.
An evening walk with the family might do everyone good.

Don't know, but modern American wheat is said to exacerbate anxiety and depression.

Fwiw

I have heard a lot of good things about TM, supposed to really help.

I like to go sit up on the Indian hill with the old chief. I guess when dad was younger he used to sit up there and read a book, or just look around.

Taking a short ride on my motorcycle helps.

Been really thinking about a kayak, paddle board or some sort of canoe. Would be peaceful and healthy I guess.

The bottle of OGD a night scares the shit outta me!

I am really interested in how quiet it would be.

Back in my bachelor days I would spend weeks without talking to anyone, cept the dog. Good listener, not much of a conversationalist.

I miss those days. Maybe an early morning on the water listening to the birds and such would be good.

The ultimate board for Jim, holds well over 400lbs no problem, paddles like a dream

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5v5IMRMq5do" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey, Jim! I'm on month 5 or so of no booze, haven't felt this good since I was a pre-teen. Daily drink is a scary trap, be careful my friend.

Jim goes on the wagon, he'll save 1600 extra in no time, and SUP'g will get him high as fuh.

Ha, the generic is exactly the same!

True, Cory. Since I quite drinking I have way more money for my cbd/thc regiment. And yeah, I got high as all get out from doing squats and push ups at midnite last night, watching Dirty Harry, it was awesome!

Back