Gardening - Growing Your Own.

I've got 166 tomato/chili/aubergine/melon plants under artificial light in the house, getting ready to move out in the polytunnel.
Unfortunately we got a bit of frost ( It was snowing 30 minutes ago) so they'll just have to wait for better weather.

First 2 rows of tomatoes in the ground yesterday , 2 more going in today
db7e5c56136625edc0805eeb875fc218.jpg

Him, when he's done, I'll probably put it all in pasture. He's gotta girlfriend all of a sudden, probably dial it back a lot if they get together. Fun to see his excitement

I'm not till but topdressed area with compost yesterday. One more week puts us past the frost date here

Close call, Willie.

It's still mud city in our garden spot here. Hopefully some warmer and dryer weather will some day arrive. Still have to up the game on a deer-proof fence, too.

Last year I grew pumpkins in wood chips and I was amazed with the results, so this year I converted my entire garden over to mulch. This is another big experiment for me, we'll see if it pays off.

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1CbqMmFw7Gk?ecver=2" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:50%;height:50%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>
This idea came from the Back to Eden documentary:

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6rPPUmStKQ4?ecver=2" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:50%;height:50%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

Doing the same thing here Treemuggs. This will be the first year. I noticed my garlic did best when I put it in my flower beds. Hasn't been worth a dang since my wife put an end to that. Just making my garden a giant flower bed now. Using a two year composted mulch. Hoping for a good year

I didn't do anything to them, they just sat for 5 years in a pile, with fresh mulch piled on top. I had to scrape off the newer stuff to get at this black gold. I have a very good feeling about this stuff, it just makes so much sense to me, in a hindsight sort of way, you know?

Very cool. Amazing that it took 5 years to compost those chips. Wonder if there is a way to speed that up?

I hauled 12 yards of old sheep manure into my garden.

It worked okay, but was full of baseball sized rocks.

Its kind of funny, I am farming 3000 acres sustainably, but my garden is a mess!

Going to try some cover crops out there.

I'm doing that in my orchard too. Over the winter low spots would be full black water. Compost tea every time it rains!

Just south of me is a large agricultural region, at least large by our standards. A good friend of mine is heavily into ag, renting more and more properties that the elderly generation can no longer look after themselves. He can get the fields cheap now. I help him out from time to time. This week mowing his pear orchards and yesterday I planted thousands of corn seeds. I like the peaceful quiet and open spaces of agriculture areas, but some or a lot of the work is so mindless repetitive it makes me nuts. I don't necessarily mean that is a critical way, I respect the people that can do the tasks in a good spirit, maybe it's a gift or a learned skill to be able to shut your mind off and be like automation. I mean corn seeds, one after another in endless rows....I can't wait until lunch to get out of my misery. Not easy on the back either.

I much prefer the tired of tree work over agriculture, I guess because my mind hasn't suffered in the one compared to the other.

Back