Fighting The Heat!!!

Excellent... I'll poke back through this thread and see what the consensus is on which version I should buy.

BTW, they are sized large. I only get 1" of velcro (enough) to stick. I need to stitch the size elastics a bit.

Carl, You will love them!!!! Just need a little umbrella and drink holder helmet, now.

Howdy, rfwoody! Where in North Mississippi are you? I'm in Columbus, small world!

On topic... how "dry" are the packs in terms of condensation? I started thinking about getting a cooling vest a couple days ago, cheaper than building an office on the back of the Treemec. :lol:

Howdy, lumberjack. I'm in the Coldwater area... about 30 miles down I-55 from Memphis.

I ordered one Friday. Maybe it will be in one day this week. I'll let ya'll know how it works. I put the vest and extra cooling pack in the basket at their website then waited a day or two. Then I got an email with a coupon code for 10% off. Might be worth waiting a bit. Just make sure they have your email.

Just today, received a nice email from them with the 10% coupon!
Immediately replied with my questions in the email address they gave, and as soon as I get a reply I am 99.9% sure I will buy.

Mine came in today. I had ordered an extra set of cooling packs. They weren't in there. I have a call in to them now. I put the packs that did show up in the freezer for an hour. The vest fits pretty good. I originally had it a little loose but soon tightened it up. It feels cooler the more it is in contact with the skin. I got the sport vest. I think it could ride a little lower but I'll see how it goes at work tomorrow. It likes about 2 inches coming to the top of my pants. Other than that it fits nicely. So far around the house and in the shop I love it. I'm not going to want to take it off. In fact I'm not. It doesn't look goofy like I thought it might. I wouldn't mind wearing it just about anywhere. I think I'm going to see if I can find one of those long sleeved spandex type shirts to go over the top. Might keep it against the skin and would definitely help keep it cleaner. I got the orange color and it will be ruined after one good oak stain day. I know it's going to get stained anyway but some of my shirts look like I change oil for a living. Thanks for turning me on to these vests. I'll let y'all know how the extra cooling pack situation works out. Almost looking forward to tomorrow. But not quite.

I've thought that insulation on the outside of the pack's pockets would be great. I think a thin piece of closed-cell foam would do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The vest works best when worn up high. It looks kinda goofy but the chest area responds to it better that the belly region.

MasterBlaster, do you store your cooling packs in the ice chest or leave them out when they're not going to be used for a few days?

Also, not trying to derail the thread but for anyone who uses the Yeti cups, Rtic or Ozark Trail versions, I've been making ice in the Oreo Mini cups. They're 3 for $1 at our Wal Mart. I freeze 4 of them at a time. My freezer is full of them. I put one a day in my Rtic cup and it lasts all day refilling. As long as I refill it with cold water. Keeps the wife happy not constantly emptying the ice bin. I used them all last year and still using the same 4 this year. They just don't seem to bust like most others.

Attachments

• 20170628_205810.jpg
    20170628_205810.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 30
Good idea on the large ice cube. The bigger the better.

Until the hot season is over, I always keep my cool packs charged.

I found a good way to stay cool when in bed at night is to get a small fan, say eight or ten inch diameter or so, and with it sitting close have it blow it directly on your face. I find it easy to fall asleep that way. However hot it is in the room doesn't make any difference. Mine is two speed. 8)

I wonder how effective it could be to have cooling devices applied to wrists and ankles?? Apparently these are good locations due to the large veins being close to the surface. If it worked ok then you could do away with the bulk of these vests ... hmmmm :?

When it's freezing out, do you mind the bulk of a jacket? Wrists would be bulky in the wrong spots. Without enough mass and bulk, they won't do anything. I forget about the bulk in a hurry, focused on work over being hot.

I tried the wrist thing and couldn't find any way to make it happen.

Fear NOT the bulk of the cool vest!

As to the derail on ice cubes. I freeze most of my used 4 litre milk jugs. I try to use up as much open space in my chest freezer as possible. I figure it makes the freezer more efficient and I always have blocks of ice handy.

When it's freezing out, do you mind the bulk of a jacket? Wrists would be bulky in the wrong spots. Without enough mass and bulk, they won't do anything. I forget about the bulk in a hurry, focused on work over being hot.

I tried the wrist thing and couldn't find any way to make it happen.Fear NOT the bulk of the cool vest!

Yep that makes sense, next summer I'll be slogging it out in my brand new vest :)

Am thinking earlier starts with electric saws as well (to bypass noise regulations).

I can't tell you how many 4 o'clock starts I made, avoiding heat of the day and more to the point, saw restrictions based on fire hazards. And I mean 4 am out in the woods, maybe an hour's drive from the USFS compound in town where my FS truck and sawyer gear was staged. That being a half hour from my house. That meaning to shower, make a fast breakfast, and brew a decent travel mug of high octane coffee...alarm clock hollers about 1 am.

I don't miss that schedule much :).

Back