Fighting The Heat!!!

Hey all. I'm thinking of ordering one of these vests. I've just read this entire thread. Anything I should know before ordering? One vest and an extra set of packs? Which vest do you prefer Butch?

They changed the forecast 😯
f5b5915ae587cdc2d86e75b5eec7bbdf.jpg

And don't forget those cooling neckwraps with the water absorping stuff inside!

http://www.arcticheatusa.com/neck-tie.html

Thanks for the info on the Coolvest! At age 63 in Mississippi I need all the help I can get.

I've read the whole thread so far and would like to ask some questions please:

* Do the different models of the Coolvest have different numbers of pocket (to hold more cooling)? .... or are they all just 2 in the front, one on each side?

* Are y'all serious about the Pedialite or just joking? .... what about Gatorade or something like SALTSTICK https://www.amazon.com/SaltStick-Electrolyte-Replacement-Capsules-bottle/dp/B002IY96B0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498138493&sr=8-1&keywords=saltstick capsules ?

* MasterBlaster, is this "www.arcticheatusa.com" neck tie what you use?

Thanks!

Robert, best I can tell, 2 front and 2 rear packs. The zipper model is nice. The color and reflectivity is personal choice. I got 1 Hi viz and 2 later purchases are Hi viz reflective.

Coolvest says core cooling is Critical. Neck cooling screws up some body temp regulatory system, as though your body says " huh, cool neck, must mean stuffs all good".

Just put mine in the freezer to re-chill.

When I'm that much cooler, the packs could weight twice as much and if be happy. Being overheated is about the equivalent of not working well in the winter because you're shivering, but not wearing a coat and hat.

My winter clothes add more bulk, and about the same weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
MasterBlaster, is this "www.arcticheatusa.com" neck tie what you use?

Yes, those are the best. Don't forget to reinforce the stitching.

Yes, I was dead serious about the pedialyte!

I prefer the vests with a zipper.

I have three vests, all with zippers, and two sets of packs. It's stinkin' hot here now, compared to even 15 years ago. I lived in Florida a few years, so I know what hot is. One difference here is, if you stand in the shade, it feels cooler. I don't remember that phenomenon in Florida. Maybe it's just me, but I feel the sun is more searing hot now. Cool vest allows me to work outside where I would otherwise be wilted.

I think our bodies are less able to deal with the heat as we age, which is why it seems harder to handle the heat now than 20 years ago.

20 years ago there was no escape, you worked for someone, you went out and did it.

These days you (if you're lucky) have the choice.

20 years ago I'd work till I didn't sweat and beyond, now a half hour in the heat doing what y'all do would be the end of me...

Dry heat is sure better than wet heat. California vs Asia. Rain is nice in the heat sometimes, and it really cleans you out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I remember working on the flight line at Lemoore, CA. It was hot as hell but you barely even broke a sweat.

Still snow on the shady side of the slopes at 6-7 thousand feet, here. Haven't seen that for about 20 years. Temps, that high up, are running 75-80 and dry.

Going up this weekend to San Hedrin, about 6000 feet, to see the late bloom.

Back