3 strand splice

I've seen 3 hold good, don't forget you can long taper each strand. Do one tuck then cut each strand to half thickness?

I've heard 3 tucks is good.... I think that what it said in Fundamentals of Tree Work. I was just too lazy to go up and pull the book out of my nightstand.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3 tucks does look way too short, but that's what I did on the saddle end of my lanyard. On the saw side I did 5 because I wanted more security.

3 tucks does look way too short, but that's what I did on the saddle end of my lanyard. On the saw side I did 5 because I wanted more security.

Fun question. What rope you using? I bet you could get by with 2 tucks. Maybe do one strand twice, one 3, and one four so it has a bit of a taper for fun?

Too late. I needed it quickly so I already did 3 on one side and 4 or 5 on the other. It worked well yesterday for me. I can always do another one later and report back.

On his splicing video Brain Toss recommends 3 tucks for Manila, 5 tucks for polyester and 6 or 7 for nylon.

Excellent info....thanks for chiming in. And welcome to the House...sit down, prop your feet up.

But don't spit on the floor.:D

Thanks for the welcome Gary, so is it the walls or the ceiling I'll spitting on now?

If you do a lot of 3 strand splicing Toss's Point Hudson fid is good investment, or just make your own out of pipe.

On his splicing video Brain Toss recommends 3 tucks for Manila, 5 tucks for polyester and 6 or 7 for nylon.

Brocky this is true, but emr is just using it for a chainsaw lanyard, not life support.

BTW, Brion Toss taught me how to splice 3 strand and double braid. He's a true master.

I do use the lanyard with a Stihl 660.... Not sure if one tuck would be enough. But I like where you're head is at.

Thanks Eric, yeah I' m not sure one tuck would be enough. That comment was off the top of my head after reading Chris's post. I haven,t done any testing of it. I also use a three strand lanyard which is 3/8" nylon from West Marine. My weak link is a key carabiner at the harness.

I sent Nick a text reminder...here you go:

Gary to Nick....Reminder....do 3 strand one tuck splice!!! Sent

His reply:
Haha! Thanks! My flight got delayed. Just taking off now. I'll try and remember to do it when you're already tucked away in LaLa land!

And he is right...off to bed for me.

Back