3 strand splice

i use a phillips screw driver.

it's a bear for me to get the first ruck. when I get it I get it. when I don't i burn up a bunch of rope!

You can use ANYTHING or nothing as the fid for three strand splices. If you DO use a fid, you can buy a $5 fid off ebay that will work just fine, but you don't need a fid.

What size rope are you splicing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am just trying to do a tight eye on 1/2" soft lay.

I have been watching your video on the subject nick, but I cant seem to get it..

I'm with you Brendon. I can eye splice three strand pretty well, but when it comes to a back splice or anything else it takes me way too long.

I know, that's my problem. I cannot figure that out for the life of me. As many times as I've seen it and done it, it is always gone the next time.

I don't even use a fid with soft lay. Just tape the ends of the strands and you are good to go.

I am just trying to do a tight eye on 1/2" soft lay.

I have been watching your video on the subject nick, but I cant seem to get it..

Are you tucking the first strand twice? You should.

If you are doing soft lay, then the problem isn't the fid or lack thereof.

What is the hang up and we will get of squared away.

Pics?

love
nick

I'm with Nick, I always start my 3 strand splices by tucking the first strand twice.

3 strand was the first rope that I learned to splice and I learned it from Brion Toss. It is still one of my favorites.

My first splice was 3 strand also. I did it without instruction, just followed the lay of the rope. That was almost 20 years ago, and I still have it somewhere as a matter of fact.

I know, that's my problem. I cannot figure that out for the life of me. As many times as I've seen it and done it, it is always gone the next time.

I have a pic something like this that I refer to to make sure I get the first tucks right......

4cd8ec50.jpg

After that, it's cake!

I have a pic something like this that I refer to to make sure I get the first tucks right......

4cd8ec50.jpg

After that, it's cake!
That's the sign for wool. That's how i always remembered how to start it....:D

Thanks guys! That's is exactly what I've been looking for. And the sign for wool will certainly stick, my brain works like that.

Use whipping twine to tie a slipped clove hitch to keep the strands together.

Two strand come towards you and one goes away while forming the knot pictured.

Each strand gets tucked under its own self once the knot is made

Do the first two tucks of each strands loosely and once it is all seated and in place, pull each strand nice and snug. Take off the Clove hitch by pulling the slipped end.

CLARIFICATION: previously a few of us mentioned tucking the first strand twice. That is when making an EYE splice. When doing a back splice as pictured above, tuck each strand one at a time.

love
nick

People get screwed up on a crown knot .The easiest thing is to rememeber once it's tied all strands will be facing back towards the line .

Generally speaking you don't put a back splice on three strand nylon .You're probabley as well to use a piece of shrink wrap instead .

I suppose you could short splice 3 strand but the only thing I've ever seen or done would be eye splices .A long splice would be out of the question I should think because of the soft lay of the rope .

From my perspective on bull ropes and the like you're probabley as well off to eye spice both ends and be done with it .If you screw up one eye you've got another to work with .Later cut the bad eye off and do another .

Long time ago I spliced all the mooring lines on one of the subs which at that time was 2" nylon .4 main lines ,eyes both ends and 4 spares .The lines were 300 feet long .Now of days they use braided line instead of 3 strand .

In 25 years, it is safe to say I have done thousands of 3-strand eyes. I have NEVER tucked the first strand twice. Is that some Brion Toss voodoo?

Back