All time favorite saw

Why exclude top H's?

372, 200T.

That's all you need to TD 95% of Conn.

I have several favorites, depending on the time frame.

My first 'favorite' was my very first brand new Stihl, a shiny 038 Magnum that cost me $600 plus tax back in the late 80s. I was finally a real tree man, I had a big saw! I got 10 years of great service out of that saw and stupidly traded it away when it needed a fresh set of rings.

My next favorite was my very first ported saw, a Husky 346 with some Dozer Dan magic under the covers. I've been running it about 12 years and it still brings a smile to my face when I slice and dice through limbs like a light saber.

Next favorite was my EHP ported Husky 372. That thing is just wicked. For the first year I had it, it would draw bees and hornets due to the pitch of the exhaust. I finally richened it up enough to slow it down a tad so the bees quit chasing me when I used it.

And finally my current favorite is my Husky 395 ported by Brian Wright. This thing is a beast. I had a ported Stihl MS880 and sold it because the 395 was faster in the big wood. I'm not sure but I think I've had it 4 years or so and it has never missed a beat. I believe it will be the last big saw I'll ever need.

And as far as top handle saws, my herd of 200T's are my daily bread and butter. I bought 4 extras when I knew they were discontinued and dread the day I no longer have one as my primary saw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I excluded them because I was more curious to know what rear handled saw folks have been thrilled by. Who wants to see 200t written 30 times. That sorta goes without saying for the most part.

I have to say 372. I've owned a few and they have all been outstanding performers, well balanced, and brutally reliable.

Yes, what attracted me to it in the beginning. Modded now, and awhile since I checked, but 16,000 plus at one point. Only 42ccs, but up to 20" wood it really flies.

Ran my 044 with a 18 bar yesterday... WEeeeeeeeeeeeeee :lol:
My 036 usually sports it but was having issues and I was thinning some oaks and the day was hardly near over.
Favorite saw is a hard one. I love my 036, 044, 046 and 066 equally... They all excel in their place as needed.

034 with a modded 036 top end is a mean motor scooter too, pretty awesome torque. I used to use it more, lesser since I think it has damaged my ears.

Ran my 044 with a 18 bar yesterday... WEeeeeeeeeeeeeee :lol:
My 036 usually sports it but was having issues and I was thinning some oaks and the day was hardly near over.
Favorite saw is a hard one. I love my 036, 044, 046 and 066 equally... They all excel in their place as needed.
Does that 044 I sold you run good now?

I never ran that saw. I acquired it with a burnt top end if I remember correctly.

Top end was cooked from straight fuel... YUP.
I also put a lot of new parts on it during the build to make sure I had no leaks on the carb to cylinder etc. New intake boot, gaskets. New lines... New caps. I might buy a carb just to see if the jets are being screwy. I rebuilt the one that came with it. Put the 046 duel port can on it as well. SHe a tad loud :lol:

Which one, top handles excluded. Your favorite model you have ever used. One saw........?
My favorite saw I have ever used and still would be today if it was still new is my first Stihl 064 I bought new in the summer of 1986.
This first year 064 was 14.1 lbs [same weight as the 046] with 85cc.

Tough one. I have run a lot of saws. For sure my favorite is the saw I used when i took my 'C' faller test, a 2101 Husky with a velocity stack and a Green weenie. Damn thing pulled chain just fine with a 36" bar. Oddly, then it was normal to double up when falling BIG burning snags back then.

044. I hiked all over the West with one slung over my shoulder fighting wildland fire.

064 is a winning tool for sure. I fondly remember wheeling one for some time with a 24" bar. It was a tough starter, but a truly rugged and powerful saw.

Back