China made stihls in Australia

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
This caught my attention. I remember Willard showing a article on the stihl plant in China.

Now I have read that the 170 180 etc type stihls landing in Australia are China made. Can anyone over there confirm this?

That's the Stihl model number.

stihl-ms170-price.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In the states those models are made at Va Beach.

Plastic clamshell saws Butch. Like the MS290 310 390 but smaller versions.

Hedge trimmer here in the states are made in china stihl plant.

Personally, I like the fact that China is making things for the world market. It would be nice without the junk, but now the country has too much to lose if N. Korea wants to get adventurous with their military might. China can help keep a reign on the nasty place.

I climbed with a ms 170 for a year while I saved my pennies for a 200 T. It has the same power plant as the 192 and the rear handle is kinda nice in the tree at times. Now it sits on the chipper for the groundies. Not a bad little saw for a buck a cc

170's are on sale here for $299AUD right now...
I'm too far from the dealer to go check the label, next time we go to Bunnings (like Home Depot) which is right next door, I'll have a peek...and resist buying some overpriced Stihl stuff, maybe...

Had this on my Chainsaw Repair website for awhile now and came across my old thread here searching.

These are being sent to Canada right now. 250 made in China

chinastihl250.jpg

8 at beginning of serial number is made in china.

So it's not a copy? It's a real Stihl made in the PRC?

I read once where Stihl did not sell in box stores because there was no one there to work on them.

No certified repair guy.

Now I see them all over hell, every fake farm store has them now.

FWIW the usual bar code prefix on Chinese stuff is 690 to 695 .USA and Canada 00 to 13 .You can do a Google and get the rest of them .

I read once where Stihl did not sell in box stores because there was no one there to work on them.

No certified repair guy.

Its consumer grade stuff that makes the €£$...

FWIW the usual bar code prefix on Chinese stuff is 690 to 695 .USA and Canada 00 to 13 .You can do a Google and get the rest of them .
I don't think that is accurate.
There is over 200 different systems used n the world. Here we use a system named European Article Number. In US its called UPC, Universal Product Code.

No certified repair guy.

Real , not a copy, made at the stihl china plant. They are being shipped into Canada right now.

They all jumped on the band wagon. ABB a Swedish firm who builds among other things industrial robots now builds them in China .On those I haven't noticed anything different .

You have to remember Stihl is world wide .I haven't noticed much difference in those built in Germany ,Virginia Beach USA or Brazil .Not mind you I'm even impressed a little bit with China but it's probably OK stuff .

Back