Ropetek Hitch Hiker

PCTREE

Treehouser
OK so kinda excited about this. Been playing with the design for a bit and have it working pretty flawlessly now. The video below is of a very early prototype and it was a bit "sticky" but that has since been resolved but it gives you an idea of how it works.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CNeFXrsVzZU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Questions comments??

RD and SST you should have prototypes next week, DMC has one already. Will be interesting as to what folks think of them. 1.jpg

BTW we have "Patent Pending " status now...

I'll stay tuned...it looks pretty smooth but I am not sure what I saw. Other folks are more savvy than me on these things so I'll watch and learn.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Basically a hitch working on SRT. Smooth one handed tailing and positive grab. VERY VERY SIMPLE DESIGN. I am simple minded:)

Just got mine late yesterday and have only had a small play with it in the house. WOW, what an ingenious tool! The feel on the rope is rock solid with no tether to flop around. As there is nothing above or around the hitch, it feels as natural as can be and should be an easy transition for anyone with hitch experience looking to use SRT work positioning.

I will be field-testing the Hitch Hiker ( great name ) ASAP. These are exciting times for tree climbers.

Dave

Double rope grab style, very nice. I guess steel biners will be recommended for wear? Got a price yet? That is far more slick than the wrench, I wonder if Cary will switch:/:

Yes steel biners, in fact the device is very finicky about its biners:) to the point where I think we will provide biners with it. Price to be decided. What do you guys think a good price would be considering we will provide 2 $25 steel biners and a heat treated tool steel Hitch Hiker....

Right now they are machined by a half wit who keeps fractionally changing the angles of the cutouts. When we have the angles completely optimized we will invest in a tool and die set to stamp them out. Easy build.

I told Paul the same, Dave...great name! Glad to have your input on how it functions.

I see you followed my thoughts re using a standard micro pulley, Paul. Sweet.

Any worries about wear on the pulley cheeks from repetitive contact with the Hitch Hiker?

Not sure I get your meaning B. The pulley is used as intended and doesn't contact the Hitch Hiker. The big wear issue is the biners on the HH which is why we are tending towards heat treated tool steel, as opposed to the 410 stainless the prototypes were made of. Obviously the user will have to monitor wear on the biners from the rope. I was initially worried about heat but all of our testing that hasn't become too much of a problem, we hauled a 350lbs hunk of wood 60' up a tree on one with a Wraptor and have a pulley above the hitch with a rope on it. We pulled the rope as fast as we could and ran that sucker down pretty fast and VERY jerkily and the highest heat we recorded was 190F, nylon melts at approx 450F so I think we are OK.

Early models broke test at way over our target 5000lbs and we now are using heavier gauge metal, once we get the final design nailed down we will have them rated and do drop tests. Ive been climbing on one solely for 2 weeks now and this grumpy stick in the mud is fast becoming an SRT convert!

FWIW I did a crane job the other day so SRT didn't gel with tying into the crane but I kept the HH on and just used it dDrt and it worked fine.

B Im going to send you an early model to tinker with, same angles and such but thinner gauge / less refined since you are not in the trees yet. Give you chance to mull it over some. With me machining these it takes me about 3 hours each right now, trying to keep up.....

When you advance the hitch taking out slack, doesn't that motion of pulling the tail upward in a bight against the bottom of the Hitch Hiker force the Hitch Hiker up against the underside of the pulley, which consequently pushes the hitch up the rope?

I'd love to play with one of the early versions, Paul. I can still mess around with it about what you were doing in your shop (in the video).
:)

Nope, when you pull slack the biner pushes the pulley up the rope, the biner is always between the HH and the pulley. I need a corner trap to keep everything better aligned in that area as it can sometimes get the biner sideways but even sideways the HH still works. I have zero patience so don't need something else to frustrate me like having to keep the hitch eyes in place all day long.......

Once you get it in the stamping process I would think you could do $125 or less. Sure looks like a better system, cleaner, less slop, looks like it grabs immediately without having to set after a long ascent. I think it will sell well, I will certainly pick one or more up when they are available. Some tool steel rusts easily which would be dirty, just a thought you may want to research

OK, I follow you, Paul. I was visualizing the upper biner capsizing into a "horizontal" orientation, but I can see how that's not really possible now that I look at it again.

Great work, I'm again impressed by your innovative mind and your ability to tranlate an idea into a functioning item. Looking forward to having a trial model in hand.

Once you get it in the stamping process I would think you could do $125 or less. Sure looks like a better system, cleaner, less slop, looks like it grabs immediately without having to set after a long ascent. I think it will sell well, I will certainly pick one or more up when they are available. Some tool steel rusts easily which would be dirty, just a thought you may want to research

Chrome plate maybe.
I was wondering if "grab" of the device is affected by rope diameter and construction? or do you have a set diameter limit?

Or maybe try a delta screw link instead of a biener if there is room in the gate opening.
Interesting design for sure I like it much better than the RW.

Rajan and I arrived at the same question at nearly the same time, it would seem :). If the device is as sensitive to very small changes in the angle the biner slots are built to, would rope diameter and degree of wear be an equally sensitive point for proper function?

I don't think so B. It is sensitive to which biner as the shape of biners varies so much. We will specify a rope size range but I have already used it on velocity-5/8 stable braid and it works fine. I am thinking the tool steel will be blued or some other form of finish to prevent oxidation.. Another thing to figure...

Looking more at the design it looks like it would grab the rope better and slow your descent in the event of a free fall situation over a RW. Have you done any kind of that testing just asking?

I don't think so B. It is sensitive to which biner as the shape of biners varies so much. We will specify a rope size range but I have already used it on velocity-5/8 stable braid and it works fine. I am thinking the tool steel will be blued or some other form of finish to prevent oxidation.. Another thing to figure...

Delta screw link is a good idea but is not triple action so doesn't meet industry safety requirements........

Back