Ropetek Hitch Hiker

Agreed, conversation is the heart of what we do here.

As you well know, auto-lock does nothing to relieve the climber from the responsibility to check every effing time that her life support hardware is secured. I actually think auto-locks have not provided one bit more security to us over screwlocks. Just my perspective, but I've seen more complacency about checking secure closure since the USFS changed over from screwlocks to three stage autolocks, especially with less experienced climbers.

Fair enough, coming as I do from climbing instruction where auto locks were standard, it was drummed into us in College about, check, double check, triple check, use your ears and your eyes to ensure what is supposed to be closed, IS closed.
Remember my post when I had a triple lock biner roll open? It was what I heard that alerted me to look at it and whoopsie! It was open, caused by the way I had wiggled down through some tight branches.

Even though the pin of that new shackle requires several motions to open, the pin will be in contact with the bridge ring, that moves, yes, ever so slightly, but it moves and could roll and pull on the pin. If the pin comes out, you fall. At least on a biner, if the gate opens, you don't fall out if you have weight in the system.
Granted with several motions to get the pin all the way open if you are keeping an eye on things you might see it first, but the margin of safety is less.

I guess you can figure I'll probably not be switching to the shackle any time soon...just my personal preference.

Agreed, conversation is the heart of what we do here.

As you well know, auto-lock does nothing to relieve the climber from the responsibility to check every effing time that her life support hardware is secured. I actually think auto-locks have not provided one bit more security to us over screwlocks. Just my perspective, but I've seen more complacency about checking secure closure since the USFS changed over from screwlocks to three stage autolocks, especially with less experienced climbers.

Couldn't agree more, at least with screw gates you knew if you hadn't physically closed it it wasn't closed. Far too many climbers think their auto lock is shut because they heard it close, when in practise you can't tell the difference between an actual close and a stuck gate.

Joe, do you mean as a DdRT non-life support advancing tether, or as a life-support clip-in point? I've got a Maxim Tech cord connection for SRT advancing tether, that is strong enough for life-support, but rarely use it as such.

Yea non life support. I pass the rope thru the tether then clip into a second biner on my bridge ring. Keeps the hh from flopping over and it tends just like a hitch climber pulley

Interesting question about the auto locking. I would argue that the slic pins are auto locking in that the user doesn't have to do anything to lock them like a twist gate. it is true that you have to actually close the Quickie Shackle, but beyond that you actually don't have to do anything to "lock" it. difference maybe between auto closing and auto locking? be curious to see what they have to say.

That's the hh1 tether from wesspur, it's a little bigger so there's more room to do this but for srt it'll get stuck on top of the hh. The hh2 tether is smaller and solved that problem it just doesn't leave much room to run this ddrt setup

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 108
It takes a long time, but the supplied beeline shows some wear on my HH. I need to find a replacement.

What puzzle me is the worn out point is at the bottom turn of the hitch. I have 4 turns in the hitch and never flipped the beeline. I use now the same hitch with Ocean Polyester on my other climb lines in a classical way (hitch+pulley set-up) but the worn out point is always at the top turn of the hitch.
Just saying, but it's strange.

Back