Ropetek Hitch Hiker

It is designed for multiple uses according to the designer. Just so happened that when yo-yo man got it he saw one of the uses.
I think it's a good idea. Not sure if I'll change mine over or not. I've been fighting with my tether a lot lately. I got a few easy things to try out. My tether gets misaligned and it pulls my carabiner out of whack. It never used to. Maybe I wore the tether out

.... I've been fighting with my tether a lot lately.....My tether gets misaligned and it pulls my carabiner out of whack....

D shackle could be nice but there is nothing wrong with the carabiner. Those carabiner tethers are a pain in the ass. I have posted a better way, many times. Makes me wonder if anyone has actually tried the way I use the HH? Easy on and off and smooth as silk but whatever.

I know. I'll be configuring something like yours next most likely. Now I just gotta hunt it down again. Thank you for the reminder

Found it. Checking my micro pulleys tomorrow to see if I got one that'll work

Last edited:
To me it's silly, did they ask so and so?? Who cares? Is the idea to better the tools available or get paid and have recognition?

The fact this shackle works with the HH so well is just a pleasant addition to its intended purpose. It is designed to be a be an extra strong, multi purpose shackle that requires four separate motions to open yet is easy on and easy off. It has advantages of carabiners for many things such as making canopy anchors, attaching rigging, and much much more. The list is long for these shackles as they are easily adaptable. They are much shorter than a carabiner and so make much tighter rigs than carabiners. I enjoy climbing with this shackle in my Rope Runner as well.

Kevin, do you have any idea of when we can get these? Also, do you have any ballpark idea on price? Thanks

My guess is in the next two or three months. It wont be a large batch of them and the cost will be in the $50-$60 range. Which is a lot of money, I know but the larger batches we go, the cheaper they will be become. For what they do compared to whatever else is available, they are well worth the money. This wasn't quite the way I was imagining they would be introduced to the internet but hey, I'll roll with it. It is an awesome use for this Shackle and it does work well.

I think it gets better as it breaks in a little then once I started using it ddrt I was sold

Joe, do you mean as a DdRT non-life support advancing tether, or as a life-support clip-in point? I've got a Maxim Tech cord connection for SRT advancing tether, that is strong enough for life-support, but rarely use it as such.

You know, I had forgotten until this morning that one of the earlier test HHs Paul ysent me had a custom shackle with a removable pushbutton pin. It came with its own wire advancing tether. It worked well but for as easy as it was to work on tbe ground, it was really awkward and fumbley when in the tree. It took two hands and some good precision to line things up for re-attachment. Honestly, it was a pain in the ass when compared to the carabiner and with no measurable performance increase.

I have not but the HH itself is not rope sensitive. If you could get the friction hitch to work, the HH would work on steel cable. My experience with static kerns is that they are terrible with knots. I love knots so kern doesn't work for me

Sorry Kevin. Didn't mean to word it like I was calling you out. Like I said the way the video sounded it was like it was designed for the HH. It definately has many uses, this being one of them.
Levi, you're right. It's for the bettering of our climbing equipment. It's a great product. If it would've been HH exclusive with out the proprietor being notified that is poor ethics. Kevin cleared this up.

I thought life support items (biners) had to be double/triple action AUTO locking, that is when you let it go from the open position it closes by itself. I don't think that shackle would pass muster in the UK? What say you Brit brothers?

Fi, you are right for carabiners, but a shackle is not a carabiner, any more that a screw link is. Those both are treated differently because they take multiple turns to close, unlike the 1/4 turn a biner requires.

Also, in theory, shackles and screwlinks should be tightened with a tool to secure :).

Even though I'm not a Brit brother...
:D

Yes, but that shackle isn't going to be tightened down one time for the climb, they are looking at opening and closing it as we do with the carabiner.
I have my slightly sceptical one eyebrow a wee bit raised for safety implications.

I didn't say it would be tightened in practice, Fiona :). And still, it takes 6 or 8 turns to close/open, so it's far safer against accidental opening that a non-locking or single action biner.

Really, I'm not arguing with your point, just explaining why the two devices have different standards.

Yes I get what you are saying Burnham, no problem, healthy conversation!

I just have an issue regardless, because it is an attachment device that we would be looking at opening and closing several times during a climb. Isn't that why we don't use devices that don't have an AUTO locking feature? I get that it has at least four motions to open, but it doesn't auto lock.

Back when I first learned to climb the old Willans harness needed a maillon rapide to join the two sides of the bridge, that was screwed down tight with a spanner, THEN an auto-lock carabiner was attached to it for the part of the climbing system that would be opened/closed. So the one type of approved PPE device needed to be shut tight for the duration of the climb, and the other, the one that would be opened/closed during the climb was auto-locking.

In the end, it will be up to the individual to personally decide the risk...and some jurisdictions may not approve it. It's not up to me, I'm just in it for the conversation :)

Back