Best rope and best price for rigging lines.

squisher

THE CALM ONE!!!!
What are all of y'alls thoughts.

Probably ordering a couple of rigging lines. Time to replace the 1/2" three strand that I use for light duty natural crotch rigging and also looking to replace some larger false crotch ropes. I've had a 1/2" and 5/8"s Samson stable braids in the past.

What's the hot rigging line and where's the best price!

Dunno about prices your side of the pond but I'm on Yale Polydyne for the heavy rigging these days.

For natural crotch rigging XTC 12 is a good choice.

3 strand is super cheap if you like it, I haven't used it in 15 years and will not put it on my truck. All my hand lines are Samson Arbormaster, mostly former climbing lines but since I don't climb any more I don't need 6 lifelines now, do I? :P

Heavier rigging line is Samson Stable Braid. I've always had excellent service from Samson ropes. No milking, no twisting, very nice handling ropes with very high working load ratings compared to other ropes of similar size and construction.

Old Arbormaster for natural crotch, that does 75% of my stuff.

Stable Braid 1/2" and 5/8" false crotch, and pull lines when it counts. The 5/8" hasn't been out all last year really, but when the bucket gets here that'll change. Go big baby.

3/4" Tenex slings.

Old Arbormaster for natural crotch, that does 75% of my stuff.

Stable Braid 1/2" and 5/8" false crotch, and pull lines when it counts. The 5/8" hasn't been out all last year really, but when the bucket gets here that'll change. Go big baby.

3/4" Tenex slings.

I still use Arborplex, 1/2" for light natural-crotching, and 5/8" for heavier natural-crotching. I've caught and lowered 1000#+ with the 5/8". For false-crotching, I use Stable Braid, 1/2", 9/16" or 5/8", depending on situation and load. I have a couple of Yale Double Esterlon lines, but I don't care for them. They seem to pick much worse than the Stable Braid. For really heavy rigging, I like PolyDyne, when there's room to use it...it do stretch.

We use 16 strand XTC for natural crotch. We picked up a spool from Baileys I think and it was on sale for $300 something. Great rope for natural crotch. We have Stable Braid, Polydyne, and Husky double braids for false crotch rigging. I have to admit I like All Gears Husky lines the best. Good prices too. Polydyne is a very close second.

Rockin like the Skwerl here too. I have some true blue in that stable as well. I tried the esterlon and found it too milky for my tastes and went back to Stable braid. Have not tried the polydyne yet. It's on my list when I need the shock absorbency and still have room for stretch around targets. All Gear rope costs me more than the tried and true Stable Braid when I add shipping and tax. Why I only have one climb line from them and no rigging lines.
If you have to re think over 10.00 for a 200ft hank of stable braid, your doing it wrong. JM2C

For all you guys who are voting SB, have you tried AllGears Husky as well? I am having a hard to putting my finger on why exactly I prefer Husky but I do. I think it's every bit as durable, I believe it's stronger, it's cheaper and I reallylike the hand feel of it once it's broken in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was wondering if anyone was going to bring that line up Eric.

I'm considering trying some out. What can I say...........I'm cheap!

Last time they quoted me about 20.00 shipping plus I pay an additional 8% (Actually 7.75%) tax on it...
135 + 10.46 tax plus 20.00 shipping.... 165.46 give or take a couple bucks....
WesSpur 1/2 Stable braid... 165.00 out the door no tax or shipping on it.
Unless it holds up better... Still a no brainer for me anyway. Higher ABS on the Stable Braid BTW

Stable braid. I've done a few naughty things with stable braid of various sizes and have developed a lot of faith in that rope.

...have you tried AllGears Husky as well? ...I think it's every bit as durable, I believe it's stronger, it's cheaper and I reallylike the hand feel of it once it's broken in.

This is counter intuitive. Among other things, rope durability comes by adding extra twist to the yarns that makeup the strands of the rope. But the extra twist makes the ABS lower. Manufacturers have to decide if they want a stronger rope or a more durable rope. For a similar ropes to be stronger AND more durable, they have to use better materials...but Husky is CHEAPER (cost wise) than the others, so we'd expect that not to be the case.

I did a comparison of weights vs strengths of the ropes. If you just look at Double Esterlon vs. Stable Braid, you can see what I'm talking about. Yale's rope is a little lighter (less twist in the rope, I assume) and the rope is just a hair stronger. Samson has a slightly heavier, slightly weaker, but assumedly slightly more chafe resistant rope.

bull rope comparison.png

Now look at husky, and I say I have no idea what is going on with that rope. It's CRAZY heavy AND stronger than both. I'm thinking that they just jammed so much fiber in there that is all sharing the load. So maybe that's how they get it stronger AND more chafe resistant.

So anyone that uses Husky- is it a lot stiffer than the other two? If a same diameter rope weighs about 50% MORE, I'd assume that there's so much fiber jammed in there that the rope would be pretty rigid.

Maybe we need to call Tom Daly...

Rope Nerd out.

Back