Alterna mat alternative?

Thats the neat thing, if you can teach guys to stop digging, you don't need to tow, they come out on their own power

But a sheet of plywood will get you unstuck just as easily as alturna mats. And remember Skwerl's trick in a pinch. You can lift front and rear tires on a forestry unit without moving just by using the outriggers and the boom.

But a sheet of plywood will get you unstuck just as easily as alturna mats. And remember Skwerl's trick in a pinch. You can lift front and rear tires on a forestry unit without moving just by using the outriggers and the boom.

I completely disagree, if your tires are coated in mud, plywood offers very little traction. Sometimes it will work but the mats work far more often. As to that Southern yahoo..... :P
We don't keep them on the truck full time

Unless you know the tow truck driver!!!:D

Hmmmmmmm

truck-driving-female-truck-driver-06.jpg

I completely disagree, if your tires are coated in mud, plywood offers very little traction.

I would disagree, I prefer boards though if I'm stuck and I always have a few 2x6' and 2x8's in my ghetto rig for whatever we might need them for.

You must get stuck really bad!

I have to agree with sotc. Alturnamats are like tools, they aren't just like a hunk of synthetic non rotting plywood. They are massively heavy duty which means they don't break when laid into ruts and they will do the job of spreading the load. And with cleats on both sides, they offer great traction, and the cleats are especially key on slopes.

Yeah they are expensive, but what good tools aren't? Just the other day I pulled out some of my plywood cuz we had to go extra far back in a yard with all the trucks and I didn't have enough mats. They were seriously underwhelming, they don't spread the load nearly as well and they can take very little abuse. I ditched em and drove to borrow some mats from another treeguy. Mission accomplished.

I'm just razzing Willie. I'm sure they kick ass. I'd definetly pick a couple up if they could be shipped to Canada halfways reasonably.

imo there is no alternative. AM's are nearly indestructible, rot proof, and you can use them on jobs where ground damage doesn't matter but you don't want to get stuck, or on jobs where little to no ground damage is essential and without the mats you aint doing the job.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did stumble upon a company who sell large quantities cheaper than TS but it's a two dozen minimum IRRC. I'm on my phone right now once I get back to the house I'll post the addy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did stumble upon a company who sell large quantities cheaper than TS but it's a two dozen minimum IRRC. I'm on my phone right now once I get back to the house I'll post the addy.

Damn it! I did not book mark that site! :X

Back