Homemade log arch

Ax-Man

Don't make me chop you
I made a comment in the GRCS truck mount thread in the Tree Felling and Rigging forum. This was a sister project I finally got completed a few weeks ago along with the truck mount.I guess this recession is good for something,like getting pet projects done. I wanted to see how the arch worked with the new 20 inch Dixie tongs I bought to replace the chinsy 16 inch tongs I got at the local Farm and Fleet.

I am quite happy with my new toy I made from a Soloflex the neighbor was throwing out. No way was I going to let all that metal end up in the garbage especially that T handle that I added some length to it.. The tires I am not too crazy about but it was the only thing I could scrounge with an inch dia. axle. I just couldn't afford new wheels and tires for an inch axle. I searched for almost 6 weeks and couldn't find anything. There was no way I was going to use the more common 3/4 or 5/8th's axle dia. for wheel barrows or the front tires from a lawn mower. I did make accomidations in the axle if I get lucky and find what I need.

The only thing I bought was the shaft or tongue if you will for the T handle and those reciever tubes for some cutomizing. I can remove or swap the tongs and use a chain hook and chain if need be. For the front end I can make the handle shorter or longer or remove it entirely and put a shackle in it's place for using our chipper winch and a hitch for towing if I have to.

I haven't had it out on a job but at least now we can move logs length ways without so much cutting to length like we have to do with our log cart. I am impressed what it will pick up but like all cart type things they work best on flat ,level hard surfaces. I see this arch being used not so much to move logs but to move small trees uphill with a winch to keep the butts from digging into the ground.

I have only used it to move logs around the wood pile . Finding the balance point to fully suspend a log is not all that easy on the first try. Once fully suspended the log wants to move around side to side, or tips up and down as you move it. I solved that problem with that chain behind the T handle I can put that wearever i need to to keep a log in place and make moving easier. Disconnecting the tongs are a hit and miss thing depending on log dia.

I basically patterened this arch using one of LogRite model as a guide only with changes to suit me, wider width, more ground clearance than I seen in the vids along with the changes for the front and back end.Yard gates aren't that big of a problem but uneven ground and patio stoops and steps can be a pain sometimes along with plantings off the corner of a building.

Here are the pics, I am happy with it. My fabing didn't come out quite as good as I would have liked with a few mistakes but there was no turning back to really fix them. It is ugly to look at but some day it might see paint. It does work though and was good experience for the next bigger or smaller one.

One comment about Dixie tongs from Bailey's if anyone is interested. I was quite happy with these compared to the cheap farm supply store I bought earlier this summer . Dixie has a nice smoth finish on the steel from the casting process . The tips are super sharp and they are made in the good ole USA.

Attachments

• DSCN0387.jpg
    DSCN0387.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN0389.jpg
    DSCN0389.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN0391.jpg
    DSCN0391.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 19
way to reduce reuse and recycle

+1 Nice work! :thumbup:

It's GREAT when you can make a useful tool from exercise junk!!! If you paint it - clear coat the "SOLOFLEX" area so it can show through ... :lol:

Looks nice!

The only modification I have seen for the same size/style Logrite is to add a set of pipes as handles aimed straight back. Then if you get into tight quarters and want to pick it up and over a log it gives you some thing to grab.

Back