Pot au feu

looks good, although I'm not keen on tongue. I made a similar dish yesterday, shin and leg beef chunks, potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, lots of herbs and spice, slow cooked for about 4 hours in beefstock and red wine while we went for a long walk on the beach. I made a big pile of baby dumplings with herbs and parmesan cheese before went. When we got back, I put the dumplings in the pot and let it simmer for 30 minutes, before dishing up with sourdough bread. Was most excellent!

Ed, I have been looking for a good dumpling recipe for many years, we used to have a Czech neighbor when I was a kid that made them, never seen the same since, whats your recipe?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sounds good.

You can use any cut for pot au feu, but there should be a good balance of meat and bones.

The advantage to making it this way is that you can reuse the leftovers in several different ways, as the stock veg, meat and bouillon are all separated.

Tonight's the first outing, so some of the meat, served hot with some of the stock veg and a little bouillon, with boiled potatoes. Mustard and pickles on the side.

Then you still have cold meat for sandwiches, beefy broth, and sometime in the week the last few scraps will all be fried up with onions and garlic, and eaten with crusty bread. We should get at least 4 meals out of it.

Paul, can you get suet in a packet? if you can, 2/3rds flour, 1 3rd suet, (for me usually 200grams flour 100grams suet), herbs salt and pepper, and plenty of paremsan cheese. 6 -7 tablespoons of water, and in the kenwood chef to knead a nice dough. I use a teaspoon to pull a lump out and roll them into balls on a bit of flour. I've found if you make them small, they absorb more juice and taste great without being dry in the middle.

I love meals that have lots of leftovers. My stew probably cost less than £10 but fed 5 adults and 2 kids for 2 days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you like a lighter fluffier dumpling you can substitute half of the flour for fresh breadcrumbs.

If you can't get suet in a packet, just scrape it out of a deer carcass and chop it up small.

Tongue is pretty good if you can clear your mind of the fact it may have licked a cows' butt a time or two .

The easiest way to cook it is in a pressure cooker with some diced onions .Makes an excellant onion soup providing you like onion soup .

I prefer it cold ,sliced for a sandwich with horse radish and spicy mustard and a cold brew.

I knew a couple of guys who shared a house, back in my college days. They tended to keep a big pot of spaghetti sauce going for weeks...add another can or two of tomatoes, brown another pound of ground beef and toss it in...whatever the mixture seemed to need at the time. It went from stove to fridge to stove to fridge, over and over.

Sometimes odd things ended up in that pot :).

I'll tell you one thing...it never was a good idea to dip too deep :D.

I'm not that much into pizza, Jay. Thinking more along the lines of a big juicy Steak.

Unfortunately there are not many good restaurants in Ft. Bragg. Small town and hard times for most working folk here.

Back