Old Time High Lead Logging Blocks

We always referred to the block hung in the tree as a tommy mohr block. I'm unsure of the spelling on that too. I would guess the block around 50-60pds plus the strap to set it. I rigged literally hundreds of spars and many by myself. I didn't mind pulling the block so much as it was the same weight the whole way. I would pull it hand over hand up between my legs while standing on spikes with just a flipline. Upon getting it up to myself I would 'cradle' the block in my lap as I swung the strap around and got the bead seated in the bell. Guylines were the bear to pull up on your own as the higher you had climbed the heavier they got with every foot of cable that came off the ground. I could rig a spar with block and three guys in one climb by myself. It was living hell at times and man oh man if everything hadn't been laid out just right it could become a mess in a hurry requiring a downclimb to set things right.

Never had to wrastle any truly huge blocks like the oldtimers though. I'm guessing they had to have a pass block or something in place to have them pulled up from the ground though.

We always referred to the block hung in the tree as a tommy mohr block. I'm unsure of the spelling on that too. I would guess the block around 50-60pds plus the strap to set it. I rigged literally hundreds of spars and many by myself. I didn't mind pulling the block so much as it was the same weight the whole way. I would pull it hand over hand up between my legs while standing on spikes with just a flipline. Upon getting it up to myself I would 'cradle' the block in my lap as I swung the strap around and got the bead seated in the bell. Guylines were the bear to pull up on your own as the higher you had climbed the heavier they got with every foot of cable that came off the ground. I could rig a spar with block and three guys in one climb by myself. It was living hell at times and man oh man if everything hadn't been laid out just right it could become a mess in a hurry requiring a downclimb to set things right.

Never had to wrastle any truly huge blocks like the oldtimers though. I'm guessing they had to have a pass block or something in place to have them pulled up from the ground though.

We used to call the block that had a wide enough opening to allow two eyes and a Shackle to pass though it connected a "Tommy Moore" Block.The Skyline and guys were 1 and 1/4 Inch on the Yarder's I worked on.Getting the Guys up the Spar and through a Block was done with a Chainsaw Winch,or once or twice with a Dozer.

Guys the same size as the skyline seems kind of oversized to me for spar guys. 1,1/4" no way for pulling by hand that's some big rigging. 5/8ths was the biggest I pulled up myself, or to rig it once off I'd climb with two of them attached to the belt and a rope with the third guyline on one end and the block on the other end. 60' or so was about the max for that stunt, any higher and it was impossible to climb with the extra weight.

Normally if the Skyline was on a Spar,it was we were right out the back and the Skyline had one or two extensions on the Termination end.

One of the extensions ran from a Stump up through a Block and connected to the Skyline or Extension.Often another extension was used as a guy (or a section of old Tail Rope or Main Rope) at 90deg to the Skyline if we were "Brideling".I wish I could find a Film of that.I know some were made in New Zealand.

Some of you who have never been around it might find it odd but we use big old heavy blocks very similar to this stuff for pulling heavy armored cable .Some of them although mostly made of aluminum are so freakin heavy you have to rig them to even get them in place .

Even when I was younger and pretty darned stout I had a tough time horsing them around on the ground let alone up in the air .Chit like this is where I learned how to rig .You got no other choice at times .

Guys the same size as the skyline seems kind of oversized to me for spar guys. 1,1/4" no way for pulling by hand that's some big rigging. 5/8ths was the biggest I pulled up myself, or to rig it once off I'd climb with two of them attached to the belt and a rope with the third guyline on one end and the block on the other end. 60' or so was about the max for that stunt, any higher and it was impossible to climb with the extra weight.

Your spurs musta been digging in deep hauling that stuff up!!:\:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Without a doubt, it was hard, hard work and I'm sure that it took a toll on the old body after awhile.

Does anybody know, who was the oldest high climber before they fazed out and went to steel spar towers? I'm betting that it was Hap Johnson.

About it being hard work, I noted that one of the outfits shown in the photos at the website that Chris fist linked to, was called the 'Poison Logging Company'.

Without a doubt, it was hard, hard work and I'm sure that it took a toll on the old body after awhile.

Does anybody know, who was the oldest high climber before they fazed out and went to steel spar towers? I'm betting that it was Hap Johnson.

Back line Spars are still being Rigged today.I don't think there were many/any wooden Spars operating past the 1970's?

Different areas and jargon I guess. Because to me a spar is a tree, steel towers on yarders are just that. Like Treebogan said backspars or intermediate spars are still being rigged daily.

Treebogan I've never seen/heard of a tail set-up like you describe there. Got any pics of that rigging?

Your spurs musta been digging in deep hauling that stuff up!!:\:

I describe it as a stunt because that's what it was really. It had to be painstakingly set-up in order to actually pull it off without something getting tangled up requiring a downclimb. Like limbing on the way-up, one wayward limb could screw up the whole plan.

No doubt about it those guys had strength and skill to spare. Still I would have thought that they would have found an easier way to descend instead of dropping down fast the way that they used to do, but I guess that that was part of the high climbers show that went with the job. The other loggers probably would have thought that you were a pussy if you took a small pass block up with you to rappell out of after topping the tree.

Here is a picture of my dad from the 50's. He was a rigger back in the day. The picture is an example of "riding the riggin", as I know he couldn't fly, at this point he must be 25-30' off the ground. Topping was just the start of the job, lots of work to rig and then strip the tree. The rigger would top the tree then hang the blocks and guylines. You would always hang a Tommy Moore and Straw line for lifting and holding things so you could get them rigged.

SarichAlbum-57.jpg

The tree is being stripped as you can see all of the wood has been logged. The Heelboom for loading logs is slacked lying on the ground off the backside of the tree and all the guylines have been taken off their stumps. We were located in the BC north coast so you can see the spar is a spruce, no fir in the north.

As the picture shows they would at times ride up/down, I imagine with just a Pass Chain wrapped around your butt. As far as loggers go my dad was pretty safety conscious so I guess it was just SOP (leather hardhat :). Funny how the picture clearly shows the caddy pads on the spurs (but doesn't show that darned leather belt and hemp rope lanyard) that I used of his in the 80's.

I've packed lots of those blocks you have pictured out to the back end of settings. In the early days they would dismantle the heavier blocks and pack the sheave, shells and goose-neck separately.

Michael

GrappleYarder, don't be shy about telling stories of the woods. You sound like you have a wealth of knowledge to be shared. Do you still log?

... Do you still log?

No those days are long gone. Ended up going back to school and I drive a desk these days. I've been having fun on weekends with all the fancy new gear that's available now, love to tinker and tune. Taught my son a few things with a saw and rope and now he works steady for a local outfit and wants to do the ISA thing.

Lots of smart guys in the woods and characters. I often describe logging to people as the immovable object versus the irresistible force, somethings gotta give. Scanned a bunch of the family slides last year and found that one, Dads gone so he can't provide any input. His obit described him as the gentleman logger - none of that axe-men crap.

Really enjoy the House and the Buzz for the most part, a lot of good quality people who encourage others and share knowledge.

Stay out of the bight parch...

Uh, I know the bight, what's the parch...?

Back