Old Time High Lead Logging Blocks

Good stuff, Grapple...thanks for sharing.

Here is a big block (for me) that we used at Katrina. My brother in law (holding it for the picture) borrowed it from an oil rig company. We needed to run wire rope thru it to lift a tree off a house..no cranes available. Some pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_8314 (2).JPG
    IMG_8314 (2).JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8231 (2).JPG
    IMG_8231 (2).JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8338resized.jpg
    IMG_8338resized.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8325 (2).JPG
    IMG_8325 (2).JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_8335 (2).JPG
    IMG_8335 (2).JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8341 (2).JPG
    IMG_8341 (2).JPG
    410.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Perry-belay-tree.jpg
    Perry-belay-tree.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Pery block on belay tree.JPG
    Pery block on belay tree.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 53
more...will try again...I tried to post some picts but the forum said it was a "duplicate" of a post...and 5 minutes something...

Attachments

• Perry tree.jpg
    Perry tree.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 45
  • tree-off-house.jpg
    tree-off-house.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 45
The tractor lifted the tree and the winch moved it off the house enough that the tractor could lower it...or vice versa. Anyway, it worked.:D

The pucker factor was pretty high.

Yeah...posted before..sharing with our newbs to the House.

I just snagged this info off Paul's thread about his Grove crane:

This was a sandbag post by our (missing...and missed) Jay:

From my perspective on the cribbage as well, pieces stacked next to each other or minimal gap. Sandbags are really good to fill in some gaps on uneven ground, or for reinforcement up against a bank kind of thing. Used frequently by ops that I know. Thick aluminum plates make for a very good base.

When you can get a crane into a desirable location, I find that a job where you have a lot of trees to remove in tight quarters like a woods, where simply falling them would require pulling and likely some hangups, is where having a crane can really shine. Three or four guys plus the op, forty trees or so down in a day and the logs all moved to a clear location, you'll be moving a lot of wood with a great system going. Everyone knows their job and it's like butter. Looks awesome, Paul!

and some picts of his early cribbing with the crane....

Attachments

• Grove crib 1.jpg
    Grove crib 1.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Grove crib 2.jpg
    Grove crib 2.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Grove crib 3.jpg
    Grove crib 3.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 53
Yeah using a sandbag to level a hole before cribbing is one thing, I thought someone said using sandbags to level on a slope, which is a completely different thing. The bottom pic scares me, I almost watched a crane tip from sinking into blacktop. Blacktop is the same as dirt ime.

Hell yea.

I guess I meant using sandbags to level stuff out in conjunction with the outrigger pads/blocks.

Completely understand now, woops lol. The box crib techniques are needed to level on a slope, so it wasn't a total waste of time. Also handy for doing all sorts of work, tree related or not.

What's really cool is that the Young Iron Works company is still in business and making logging equipment. The company is now called Young Corportation. Here's a link.

http://www.youngcorp.com/blocks_haulback.shtml
Amazing! On Kyle’s Redneck Build/Ideas thread https://www.masterblasterhome.com/posts/984401
He got some small yarder blocks from Westtech. I went on Westtech to look at the price and specs and sure enough they were selling Young Blocks! Young 1369 Half Side Haulback Block - 15 Ton WLL - #V1034 - https://www.westechrigging.com/block-young-1369.html 8B6DE194-B627-4FED-90F6-6330A81FBC01.jpeg

Last edited:
That block just screams BEEF!
I was looking at the specs and mentally comparing those to my CMI triple sheave. That have 15 ton breaking strength!
Good to see old school still in production.

OK...you gave me a reason for a derail. I worked Hurricane Katrina. We were tasked to take a big pine off a fellow's house...no cranes available. We had a winch and tractor (HO's tractor) and a lot of gear but needed a big block to make our plan work. Billy, my B-I-L (in the picture with the "big" block) and Perry, the home-owner, went down to the dock area to see if they could find a block to rent/buy/whatever. They came back with this beefy thing. I considered it huge. The derrick rigging outfit where they borrowed it (yep, no charge, they just said, "bring it back") offered them some "real" blocks...they were so large they filled a full pallet, about half the size of a VW. Billy politely told them they were too big. They took him way back to the corner of the back warehouse and got this darling for us to use. We rigged and finagled around and managed to lift the tree off the house and lower it down. Perry was ecstatic -- very little damage to the house. Fun job. I had 3 tie-ins for work positioning and still used a lanyard some. It was a spider web for a bit. Only time I have used that many tie-ins.

Attachments

• Pa  (1).jpg
    Pa (1).jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Pa  (3).jpg
    Pa (3).jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Pa  (2).jpg
    Pa (2).jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Pa  (3a).JPG
    Pa (3a).JPG
    410.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Pa  (9).JPG
    Pa (9).JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • Pa  (10).JPG
    Pa (10).JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Pa  (11).JPG
    Pa (11).JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
  • Pa  (12).JPG
    Pa (12).JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Pa  (13).JPG
    Pa (13).JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 19
I see that now. It looked yellow in the pic. I guess the green from the tree messing with my eye's on the white part.

Back