Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Time High Lead Logging Blocks

Treehouser Sponsor chris_girard's Avatar

Default Old Time High Lead Logging Blocks

I remember when I was a kid, seeing pictures of the huge blocks that were hung from the spar poles during the High Lead logging days and thinking how incredible it must have been working with that kind of equipment. At the time, I had no idea who made these types of blocks, but I certainly admired the men who climbed those trees and helped to set that rigging.

Years later, I was reading Jerry B's Fundamentals book and A Tree Story DVD and saw pictures of pull trees being rigged with these blocks (only the blocks were on a slightly smaller scale). I'm pretty sure that Jerry said that these were Young Blocks and that the ones that he used to haul up the tree to set the "hard rigging" weighed over 100 lbs! That's a lot of weight to haul up, if you are tight-lining a job by yourself and don't have any ground help to pull down on a pass block.

Below is a cool link to some of the old time High Lead logging that was done on the Olympic Peninsula during the 1920's-1930's with a setup showing some of the Young Iron Works blocks that were used. Some of you guys may have already seen this info, but I still think that it is so cool.

Check out the size of the block that the rigger is sitting on in the second page of pictures.

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cu...ng/index4.html

Here's the full 1949 catalog from Young Iron Works. Very interesting stuff on each page!

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cd...1&CISOSHOW=449

The loggers would joke as they carried those heavy blocks," geez if this is a young block I'd hate to carry an old one"

Bamboo Plantation Owner Sponsor Tucker943's Avatar

Keep it coming boss. Good stuff.

OMFG, on page 69, can you freaking imagine cutting thru that log with a cross cut saw????? Those guys must have had muscles in their shat!!!

Amazing find, Chris!

TreeHouser Sponsor woodworkingboy's Avatar

Cool thread, thanks for posting.

That third pic makes me wonder what the women were like in those days?
    Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the great mystery. ~ Oglala Sioux

What's really cool is that the Young Iron Works company is still in business and making logging equipment. The company is now called Young Corportation. Here's a link.

http://www.youngcorp.com/blocks_haulback.shtml

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Cool avatar.

TreeHouser Sponsor woodworkingboy's Avatar

Kind of looks like the old metal casters that you once saw in factories on carts. Cool looking too.
    Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the great mystery. ~ Oglala Sioux