Wood Turning

Tree work and woodwork are a good combo for trades/activities that balance each other out. You have to not mind working though, nothing gets accomplished sitting on your butt. Or, the glue dries is maybe about it.

Of Mice and Men. Steinbeck. Do you have a lot of boxwood available?

Not a lot.
Years ago our fine prince of Denmark wanted a larger swimming pool, so a 250 year old boxwood hedge at the royal castle had to go.
One of my former apprentices got the job of cutting it down.
He collected all the larger pieces in a stack, in order to bring them to me.
The prince cam by and told him that they were o be given to a woodcarver that he knew.
My apprentice said: " yes sir, absolutely, sir" and the moment he was gone, tossed about 1/3 in his truck for me.
I have used most of it, but still have a few good pieces.

Richard, my partner, brought me a nice chunk of ancient Kauri from New zealand.
I used the better part of it to turn a pepper mill as a gift for the Beraneks and have been saving the last piece for a special occasion.

I have always been a terrible wood hamster, sockpiling wood for later use.
I sold most of it because I thiught I'd be moving to Schweiz, but kept all the best stuff.

Anyone using the One- Way Wolverine sharpening jigs with a slow speed grinder to sharpen your lathe tools. If so , how do you like it?? I recently splurged and bought this system along with a Rikon slow speed grinder and a few pricey long handled tools. I like the system but there is a learning curve to using it. So far I have only sharpened my second choice tools for practice and have had good results getting them sharp.

Before I move up to my good tools I was wondering if there are any pitfalls or things to avoid so I don't ruin them. The DVD and the printed instructions that came with the Wolverine system seem to have left out many details for using this system. Kind of like a hit and miss and trial and error thing before you get really good results.

I hope this isn't a derail for this thread as it isn't actual wood turning but it wasn't really worthy to start a whole new thread

I use a slow speed grinder, but no jig. Sharpening jigs are available for most every kind of woodworking tool, but they seem cumbersome and not really needed after some practice doing it freehand. Your's may be a good device, not putting it down. Larry, what concerns do you have when sharpening with the jig?

I have used that setup for years.
Wolverine with a Creussen slow speed grinder.

It takes some years untill you have worked out whatkind of grind you like on your different tools, and getting there will cost some tool length.

When I used to do production work, like balusters, it was really nice to have like 4-5 examples of the same gouge, switch to a new one as they got dull, then simply set the Wolverine and give them all a quick pass at once.
That was a real time saver, and when your competitor is a CNC lathe, you need all the time savers you can get.

Jay , I guess my concern is I don't want to ruin my good tools especially my new tools going through a trial and error process . I am probaly being over paranoid thinking I am going to grind too much away or not getting the proper angles. I was glad to see Stig's comment about grinding away precious tool length to get the right grind on a particular tool. This kind of bother's me also ,not getting it right the first time.

The one thing I have found out using the Wolverine is that you can't use it like a regular bench grinder mostly because you are sharpening on the upper quadrant of the grinding wheel instead of the middle of the wheel. It is almost like you have to divide the angle you want in half to get it to come out close. I had to redo a bowl gouge on on my regular grinder to get it back to way it was suppose to be, I didn't lose that much metal but it bugged me to have to redo it. I sharpened a skew on it and it came out nice and sharp but the grinder put more of a convex type grind on the tool. I am not so sure I like that or not. There are many different types of skews and angles you can put on them that I am probaly being to picky.

The Wolverine is a good set-up I just need to play with it some more and fine tune my sharpening skills even it means screwing up and having to do redo some tools. I guess I was dreaming thinking that after reading the instructions and watching the video that my sharpening problems I had doing it freehand on my regular grinder would just disappear . :lol::lol: I'll get there I am sure of that.

Sounds like you don't have your Woverine set up right.
Did you adjust the grinding height of your grinder by raising it according to the users manual?
Do you have a way to make sure you fit the gouge into the jig exactly the same way evey time?

Of course you can use the Wolverine set up to get a bowl gouge any way you want it, it simply takes some trial and error.

How the hell can you put a convex grind on a skew using a bench grinder ( With or without a jig). Only by making a gazillion micro bevels, I would think.

There are people out there who prefer a convex grind on both skews and gouges, but I find it too hard to control the cutting agressiveness ( No bevel to rub against the wood) and too hard to maintain.

Maybe you could show some pictures of your edges and we could see if there is room for improvement.
Like I said, I have been using the Wolverine for close to 20 years, so i know it fairly well.

Stig, I have it set up right with with the 3/4 in. spacer board under the grinder.

I don't know if I am using the right words for the convex grind . I am only going by what I have seen or read on the internet. The skew I am talking about was used, came to me with the the first lathe I bought and has a 25 degree angle on both sides . I have no idea if this is correct or not. Many of the tools that I have are second hand and don't know for sure if they have the correct angles or not.

I'll try and get some pix up.

Lathe tools are so long, generally. Even with sharpening mistakes, a long life to be had. Larry there are some excellent turning books available, if you need more information resource.. I assume they are excellent I mean, I only have one ancient book that I picked up in Great Britain. It was before the wood turning boom helped people get interested. Stig's a good resource!

Sorry for not keeping up, busy with work, no pics either. Mrs. Ax and I finally were able to take long deserve holiday for the two of us, nice to get away for a brief time.

I have played a little more with the Wolverine and getting better results.

Stig , my bad on the convex grind . I think what I meant to say was hollow grind for that skew. The metal gets a little dished behind the cutting edge. It makes really sharp edge but from what I have researched it is not recommended for a skew. I think I made a mistake using the V arm to sharpen that tool instead of using a regular tool rest. I do know one thing is that my new tools are HSS and hold an edge much longer and are much easier to work with and are speeding things up .

I was going through some stuff today, and found a CD with some pictures of stuff I turned about 15 years ago, done by a professional studio fotographer.
Thought I'd share them.

PHOTO_1.jpg PHOTO_2.jpg PHOTO_3.jpg PHOTO_4.jpg PHOTO_5.jpg

You've got to be shittin me. That's art work. This year I am going to find a nice hand turned bowl for my wife to serve salad in. This thread really drew my attention.

Wow, some beautiful stuff Stig. I'm amazed at how thin a couple of them are, and they still seem to stay together and hold shape.

I went back to upstate NY for the holiday for a well deserved deer hunt and home cooked meal. Thanks Mom. After dinner, my seven yr old son went out to Gramma's shop. After about thirty minutes, he returned and gave this to his five yr old sister. I am a proud man and he is going to be a great man.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418430417.800902.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418430434.605848.jpg

I am very pleased that he works so hard and it is also comes very easy to him, and that he is always thinking of others.

Back