Wood Turning

I think that 6tpi (teeth per inch)would be a good choice. Hook tooth type with a raker set, it's a very common one for wood. A half inch wide blade would be good unless you need to cut tight curves. Blades are available in carbon steel or what they call Bi-metal. Bi-metal is slightly more costly but holds up better. Don't be confused by the myriad of options for band saw blades. People often are looking for the best finish on the wood when they cut, which the options can lead to, and a compromise is speed in cutting. You aren't interested in that for turning blanks, 6 hook would be fine, and reasonable in thicker wood. Good for general purpose for lumber as well.

I'm following along.

Hopefully, my new basement/ garage will have enough power for a ShopSmith I bought many years ago. The old barn didn't have the power to run it, nor I, the time.

The Shopsmith https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination_machine

I also got a small bench top lathe, too, somehow along the line.

Maybe this winter.

does yours have a 2.5hp ao smith motor? I used to rewind a ton of those.

f4f02c99730dd5ffa0c3a5fcdfbffeb4.jpg
d26ceb85aef79188aea4a463c200913a.jpg
175e657bbd7caafc22e4364976580bce.jpg
b6dc2c6d7e83f91fb7e1edaa3d894b65.jpg

Ok, I got it home, now what...

This is where mine go, the ones that fit anyways. Seal the bottom with wax from all the leftover candles the wife burns in its own pot and paintbrush it on.
c46e82a75715b99b2e691f45b43d3255.jpg

85cf54ce563d24c2626d68223dde2cfe.jpg

70ed4343ce2584f5d62cbadd5dcb2ed5.jpg

water based paints work well. don't forget to put the date of when you collected the timber on the ends of the logs at it is 1" per year for drying timber. If you want any other tips on turning or drying timber let me know

Sealing is the part I've never understood for now. Anything you're willing to put out, I'm willing to read about the subject

Willie, sealing enables wood to dry slowly and better adjust to the gradual changes in dimension without cracking.

With most burls it is preferable to rough turn them before drying them.
They have a tendency to develop internal cracks when dried whole.
Locust burl usually doesn't though.

Kinda Sorta On Topic...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/48DlrIun1to" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• YrnD7SG.jpg
    YrnD7SG.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 30
Especially making those on a wood lathe.

I thought you didn't like derails, Butch.

This guy isn't a very good turner.
It is still a nice glimpse of how the old English Bodgers worked.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KUv3OwY5Etg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stopped at a Rockler store a few weeks ago and bought a #842XLH Robert Sorby 1/2” bowl gouge. Feeling like a kid with a new toy I couldn’t wait to put it to wood, I was very disappointed. Can’t get it to do anything but catch and rip. It’s very sharp with a traditional grind. Before I spend the time to put an Irish grind on it somebody please tell me what this thing was intended for.

Back