Wood Turning

I like the rounded lip. A great thing about wood is how a hard material can be made to look soft. I've made wooden hearts and stuff for my darling too, virtually a collection, but I think the last one was over twenty years ago :lol:

The heart looks like a piece of rich chocolate. Big old bruiser tree guy and kick your butt karate expert, and and look at that. It's wondrous!

I'm in love, Jay.
That has turned me into a romantic softie:)

DANG I didn't know we had a turning thread here. I had no clue so many of you were into turning. Good thing I had some time to kill and found it.You guys are doing some nice and I mean very nice work turning those bowls. I am envious. Hope you don't mind me chiming in.

I have had a lathe for a few years but recently got another one I like much better than my old one with the worn out tail stock because it is bigger and easier to use. I also got some face plates with it to be able to make some bowls. I have tried turning bowls but a good chuck would make life easier. The chuck I got with this lathe is almost useless so any serious bowl turning is on hold for awhile till I get one along with an actual bowl gouge and a heavy duty roughing gouge. Takes talent and skill to turn a nice bowl.

I have made all kinds of things with my lathe ,wood working mallets, small mushrooms, eggs, candle stick holders ect. ect. The one thing I really enjoy and keep going back to is making odd looking pieces that is similar to spindle turning and making finials. I don't know why , maybe it is because of all the different types of cuts involved and the variety of shapes is almost endless.

Here is a pic of some of my work. Most are practice pieces to get a feel for the tools and different ways to shape wood. They kind of look like fancy chess pieces except for the mushrooms. Some of these pieces aren't finished, some are with the two biggest pieces being my most recent work. Some day I hope to incorporate this style of turning into some of my rustic woodworking.:D:D

Attachments

• DSCN0824.JPG
    DSCN0824.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 72
Nice guava bowl Nick!
The Crane Man's display at the ISA Shade Tree Symposium in Lancaster had a nice bowl done by an arborist... I should have thought to take a photo.

I finished a yew bowl that I rough turned about 6 years ago, as a graduation present for our apprentice.
Quite a spectacular piece of wood.

Attachments

• P1000379.JPG
    P1000379.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 54
  • P1000380.JPG
    P1000380.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 53
  • P1000382.JPG
    P1000382.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 53
  • P1000384.JPG
    P1000384.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 53
Very nice, Stig. Yew is something uncanny isn't it, especially for a so called "softwood". That color should age beautifully.

It is super easy to turn and hardly warps at all when it dries.
Have you ever done any furniture work in it.
Have you seen the yew they dig out of peat bogs in Ireland and cut into boards, that stuff is other worldly.

This had some shakes in it, which is why I chose such a substantial rim thickness, which I then tried to camouflage a bit with the detailing.
Normally i don't use wood with splits and shakes, but this piece was so fine, that I decided to go ahead.

Yes, I've used it in furniture, especially steam bent chair backs and other parts on Windsor chairs. I really think that for turnings like yours, is where the beauty really comes out. I remember the first piece I ever put on a lathe, merely a spindle turning, but the beautiful shine and warmth that the wood takes on without a finish, perhaps like no other. I think I read once that the native Americans living on the west coast liked to use it for their religious associated tools. It seems to have found that sort of appreciation in a few different cultures, over here as well.

Here's 2 I made yesterday.

First one is about 10" across at the top. It looks amazing while the wood is still fresh. It'll fade to a brown color as it dries though

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397482580.554790.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397482591.887364.jpg

This next one is smaller. It's an experiment. Usually it's a really
Bad idea to make a bowl with the pith still on the wood. But I've found some wood that seems to never check- so I decided to try it anyway and see how it dries.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397482680.129978.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397482699.514449.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397482713.230710.jpg

love
nick

hmmm, so the guy that cut your tree down made you a bowl from the wood? Cool!

Actually just wondering what Nick is going to do with a garage full of stacked bowls :lol:

They burn real well.
I've fed countless that I wasn't satisfied with for one reason or another to the furnace.

Do you finish them wet and let them warp, Nick?

Back