Wood Turning

Ive watched this thread for awhile and it has peaked my interest. I want to buy my wife a hand turned bowl somewhere. I think she would cherish it.

Stig, im curious about your finishing process. how do you go about re-chucking the bowl between coats? im assuming that you've finished the foot before applying the first coat. vacuum chuck?

Stig, im curious about your finishing process. how do you go about re-chucking the bowl between coats? im assuming that you've finished the foot before applying the first coat. vacuum chuck?

No, I leave the recess or tap for mounting it in the bottom.
Then I finish the interior and all the exterior except for the bottom of the "Foot".
Once the bowl is all done and the finish has hardened, I'll remount it using a vacuum chuck or a set of jumbo jaws and finish the foot, then give that the same number of steel wool/ oil treatments as the rest of the bowl. I don't want it to be possible to see how the bowl was mounted for turning.
Sometimes the "foot" is turned as a separate part, then the bowl is also finished in to stages.
Here is an example in Black locust burl:

Attachments

• P7260012.JPG
    P7260012.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 52
  • P7260014.JPG
    P7260014.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 51
  • P7260017.JPG
    P7260017.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 51
The chuck is the Stong Hold model. I have only used it once but I like it and feel much safer than the other POS chuck I got

That has been my bowl turning chuck for the last 20 years. GREAT grip and appears to be indestructible.
I have turned literally 1000s of bowls on mine and it still works.

thanks Stig. that is more or less the process i have been using for cleaning up the foot/finishing, but without the vacuum chuck.

I only use vacuum when I do serial work, which I don't do any more.
When one finishes dozens of salad bowls for whole sale in one go, it is a great timesaver.
Not worth setting up for doing one bowl, I lent my set-up to an English turner a couple of years ago, doubt I'll ever ask to have it back.
Thanks for the compliments, I've simply been turning high volume for a lot of years, eventually you get it right or quit.
I did both, I guess.
You get fast as well, doing lots of production work
A small bowl like the one shown, takes me about 45 minutes to do, including 3 finishes. But only if I do a bunch at a time.
Done singly, maybe 1½ hrs.

Black locust burl is fantastic to turn, but very, very brittle. When you go thin like that, too much vibration can shatter the bowl.
I did a demo with a japanese woodturner years ago, and made a bowl just like this one, except when I was finishing the rim, I had a minuscule catch and the whole thing blew up and went into orbit. I still get ribbed about that a lot:lol:

Very interesting guys. Here is the latest project that I did. It's a cookie jar from an Elm tree that I removed. I donated it to a scholarship charity from my old high school and this picture is from the silent auction. I used a face plate on it. Turned the inside of the lid on the end then parted it off, gouged out the inside and then put the lid on the jar and used it like a jam chuck to finish the top of the lid.

Attachments

• cookiejar.jpg
    cookiejar.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 41
My favorite thread to lurk in.
So much information.
Beautiful work.

Stig, that walnut burl bowl. Wow.

I'm now looking on craigslist for a lathe to start on.
The TH rocks.

Yeah it got bought Jay. I don't know the price however. I have a lathe to bring here to Vegas but am working on getting moved over here and set up. So I just turn when I am back in Patterson.

Did some miniature turning today.
Two rings in boxwood and a box in Ancient Kauri to keep them in.
Ancient Kauri is a beautiful wood, but a bitch to turn.

Attachments

• P1010632.JPG
    P1010632.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 65
  • P1010634.JPG
    P1010634.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 65
  • P1010637.JPG
    P1010637.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 66
Back