Wood stove heat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Same here, after our return home from travels. It was 40 degrees on the porch this morning. Now it's about 50 degrees, but supposed to drop several in the early afternoon. I'll be building a small fire tonight, no doubt.

1 or 2 loads of wood in the fire box per day, lately. Skipped a day or two.
Low in the 40s. My gf and I have small stoves.

I can easily overhead my small house with it.

Miriam's house almost got too hot last night when I topped off the stove... lots of passive solar gain at hers.

A week ago I tried burning 2 big chunks of eastern white pine that was a little rotten in some places. No kindling needed, just 1 match. It burned for 4 hours before I gave up waiting for it to go out and went to sleep. It may have gone another hour or 2. I saw the last coal go out late in the morning.

This is the first week we haven't been burning at least at night, it had been down in the 30s at night but now it's in the 60s. I was doing really good with pretty much zero buildup, but the damn tack welds on my chimney cap broke off and so i had to sweep it a bit more this year since i didn't feel like dragging welding leads up on a frozen roof. :lol: It's on the list, I'll be doing my roof this year anyways so I'll do it then.

Since were on the other side of the pond, and Hemisphere, were well and truly into our burning season.
Start around March/ April, and burn till Nov /Dec depending on how it warms up.
We use the old Sagasco gas stove in summer.

Rayburn cooks, gives us hot water and heats the house via radiators.

Good when its working, just recently had to replace the boiler, that was a solid weeks worth of messing about. stovefinnished.jpg

Also use the bread machines to mix up dough, and then use the oven to cook them in bread tins, since the oven is always on and hanging around 200 C ish.

breadjune.jpg

ok, and it does roasts pretty well too. :)

Leg of Lamb and vegies
lambroastrab.jpg

Last edited:
As I mentioned above, my wood heat season seems to be over now but that didn't stop me from picking some scraps of nice oak T&G flooring out of a dumpster at an appointment yesterday :|: :rockhard: :/:;)

Waste not want not!!!

As I mentioned above, my wood heat season seems to be over now but that didn't stop me from picking some scraps of nice oak T&G flooring out of a dumpster at an appointment yesterday :|: :rockhard: :/:;)

Waste not want not!!!
If only you had a way of drying your wood chips, you'd be burning them too. I would, since chips are cheap. I guess they'd have to be spread on big tarps to sun dry in the summer, then bagged and stored airtight so humidity can't get in to cause rot.

I'm working on that.... summer project i hope to try out. I'm thinking of building a small batch torrifier, and then pressing little logs, maybe even a pelletizer or a briquetter too for some other projects. If i get it working I'll be sharing obviously, drawings and all :lol:

I'm working on that.... summer project i hope to try out. I'm thinking of building a small batch torrifier, and then pressing little logs, maybe even a pelletizer or a briquetter too for some other projects. If i get it working I'll be sharing obviously, drawings and all :lol:
We can't wait for those detailed drawings...with crayons. 🙄

Time for some new bricks.
Already replaced the glass and seals couple years ago after Levi bumped a piece of wood closing it.
I was impressed with the packing job. Two of these boxes packed inside another stuffed with paper. Think I'll save them to ship something fragile or heavy someday.
20231008_121433.jpg
20231008_121504.jpg

Attachments

• 20231008_121504.jpg
    20231008_121504.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Good on you choosing to continue heating your house with renewable energy from the green solar powered forests. Nature will thank you, the tax collectors won't.

Good on you choosing to continue heating your house with renewable energy from the green solar powered forests. Nature will thank you, the tax collectors won't.
You are obviously unfamiliar with CA regulations.. Fire wood is taxed here. CDF regulates the necessary permits for fire wood harvesting and selling. You legally need an LTO (there are three classes of LTO) or Licensed Forester to submit a harvest plan. Even on your own property if you are going to sell. Now, most of us up here just try to keep it on the down low.
Also, many places in the state have burn and no burn days. Mostly urban and suburban. So there are days some folks cant heat with wood.
But, you are correct about the renewable energy carbon syncs. :D
Me, it just waste product that I recycle to keep warm :D

I had a feeling they regulated it somehow if they do the same to solar and well water. We need a tax on their ability to tax. I'm surprised you haven't moved out of that state, but then, who'd want to move in to Cali to buy your house, not to mention the other difficulties and costs of moving, business, comunity ties and all.

Timing was all wrong. And now definitely wrong with the current housing market and interest rates. Time to just chill and stay to fight the fight or let it sort itself out. Having kids and elderly parents helps with that decision making.

Back