Wood stove heat

They say the only reason for the 8" outlet was for operation as a fireplace with both doors open and screen in place ( who does that ? ) , reduced mine , both draft fine

They say the only reason for the 8" outlet was for operation as a fireplace with both doors open and screen in place ( who does that ? ) , reduced mine , both draft fine
Oh, well saying that I may stick with 8" then. I see myself using the screen a good bit. This is Wisco after all, beer, fire, tools, shop space, and all that.

Without a blower on it, direct radiation with the doors open will be a good way to throw out a lot of heat. The only problem being with open doors you have an unrestricted draft, so it will be pulling in a large volume of cold air from outside. Also make sure the chimney goes a good distance above the highest point of the roof. My dad had 2 stoves installed, both went only as high or maybe a few feet less than the height of the house, and had a bad draft strength. I always prefer bigger pipes: more draft pulling power.

I used Duravent, or something similar, in my garage. There is a ceiling adapter where the insulated pipe starts. From there to the stove you use single wall.

Yep , single is fine to the insulated then insulated all the rest to the cap. There are rules about height above roof , if at or near the ridge or highest roof point go two feet above , below go high enough to be Ten Foot from nearest roof surface laterally ... These rules followed make good drafting flues.

I was looking at Heatfab single wall pipe 22ga welded seams, which is appealing to me. The code here is 3 feet above the tallest peak in the roofline. So I am 23' to the peak so 26' of pipe + the height of the stove, 30", will easily get me there plus a little I am going to have to brace it but whatever. I just need to figure out what system I want to go with thru the roof and type of cap.

Double or triple wall through the roof and above the roof tho right? Welded seams are kinda overkill, and that's coming from me lol. You absolutely have to have either or, both by code and for safety, and to prevent chimney fires from increased creosote caused by condensation and the wind.

That's all I've ever seen personally. You will be fine with the sheet metal finger seam single wall up to it. Hell even in Peoria the menards store has it in stock, 5 bucks for a 3 foot section or something like that. They even have adjustable 90s so you can do any angle without the actual layout work.

My old Snowmaking Foreman ... used pipe upwards of schedule 40 ... ran horizontal through masonry basement wall , then to a T, up about fourty foot vertical mounted outside . Loved cleaning it annually , stand at the bottom and beat on it with a piece of Inch anda half

I have heard that it was a practice in days gone to pack your stove and as far up the flue as possible with dry pine branches when the first snow hit and burn ‘er clean.....

I have heard that it was a practice in days gone to pack your stove and as far up the flue as possible with dry pine branches when the first snow hit and burn ‘er clean.....
I sort of do that at the end of the year, but with cleaner burning wood like poplar.

Tons of good info here, thanks.

FTR, double Eco Fans on the stove top have been working very well, shoulda done it a while ago. 8)

I never saw a lot of point in them with my setup, but thinking about it, it could be pretty useful if they're quiet. The fan on my stove is loud as shit, so I don't like using it unless it's really cold. An eco fan might be a nice bridge between radiant heat and turboprop modes.

How loud are the eco fans? Where's the best place to get them?
I got my second one from amazon, of course free next day shipping ;)

They are quite quiet. Not silent but just no issue with noise from them.

Last edited:
My cousin used to routinely pull the pipe out of the masonry chimney and wad a bunch of newspaper in it. If you burn it off on a regular basis it does not have that much fuel. I have moved on to double wall. Costs money but peace of mind and little maintenance are worth it.

Back