Wood stove heat

Yup. It's one of the oldest technologies humans have mastered, and it's still being refined hundreds of thousands of years later.

I just bought a 1977 Vermont Castings Vigilant in good shape just needs new gaskets and a lot of pipe. Solid iron doors but has a separate screen.
.... congratulaions !! , my favorite model by far. 1977 is embossed on all of them ( patent date I think) usually not when manufactured. Plenty information on the internet for parts and operation. Love the automatic intake dampening

I have to do some more research on it but I'm sure I'll have questions. Either way I was born in 77 so in my mind it was meant to be. lol
I am thinking I need to build some type of shroud and add a blower.

You might be surprised, those things are sought after because they simply work. You might do just fine

I am sure it will work just fine but the space is much bigger than a house. 40'x72'x25' (at the peak) pole barn with no insulation at the moment. I figure If I can keep the space 10* above outside temps I'll be fine. And there is a smaller insulated shop in the pole barn that has a Modine in it.

Spray foaming the whole thing is on the list for next year. I have no illusions that the stove is undersized for the space but I just want a space where I can sit and have a beer out of the wind by a fire. I am sure I don't have to explain why to a bunch of tree peeps. Plus having an unlimited supply of wood that I was paid to remove helps. Kinda like laughing all the way to the bank.

So who is a good source for stove pipe? And do I need special piping to go thru the roof is it's a tin roof?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll agree with Paul...so long as you have safe distances from flammable construction on the inside. For single wall pipe, that's going to be +36 inches, under most state building codes.

This is not one of those stupid rules that can sometimes be seen in those codes...this is for real. Ignore sheetrock, in this calculation. It is the distance from single wall pipe to what's behind the sheetrock that matters.

Brick overlays, stand off mounted sheet metal...these things do help with the distance minimums. Do your due diligence research.

It's not so much that the day after you install the stove and pipe that a wall stud, rafter, or ceiling beam will burst into flame from heat exposure...far more likely, after 10 or 20 years of that exposure, the drying and heat finally come to a combustion point, and a fire results.

Metalbestos would be my choice going through any roof and above , small outlay with big payback. Clearance spec is a couple few inches , goes together like Legos.

Nice stove. You might find it works better in your space than you think. It's still gonna make your spot warm, even if you can't walk around in your underwear. That's kind of my preference for an outside/unfinished location anyway. Far away, it's warm enough to keep from being exceptionally cold, and if you want to really warm up, you can sit close to it. Feels cozier, and you aren't roasting your ass off while trying to get stuff done.

Back