Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood stove heat

Default Wood stove heat

A follow-up to a tangent Brendon and I wandered down for a couple of posts in another thread...

Bren, here's the new stove, and a link to it on the Hearthstone website. Hearthstone is a Vermont company, assembles cast iron and also soapstone stoves there. The castings are done in Spain.

http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/woo...?product_id=11

We replaced our old Yotul 602, tiny little thing, but a heck of a efficient wood stove, this late summer...it had done yoeman duty in two houses for over 30 years for us, and was being asked to heat far more square feet than it was designed for in this house, which we've been in since building it 23 years ago.

Our house is a modified Cape Cod style, two stories with a centrally located staircase. The wood stove hearth backs up to the stairwell, right in the center of the first floor, and a cutout in the stairwell wall directly above/behind the stove allows heat to rise naturally up the stairs to the two bedrooms and bath upstairs. The first floor is laid out so there is a circular traffic pattern through the living/dining room, the front room/office, and the kitchen around the central stair and wood stove hearth. A ceiling fan in the living/dining room moves heated air very effectively around the floor plan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hsshelm.jpg  
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

Those stoves are made here and do the job amazingly well ... plus the stones retain and transfer heat like no other material ... not a Chinese assembly line piece of crap ... to fit the stones to the casting one person completes one stove at a time ... the craftsman's name and date are on ther too .... wish I had one

I have an idea for a very efficient / affordable stove that operates like a masonry stove but with cheaper materials. I chaps my ass every time I look at my chimney and see all the smoke/ unburned fuel.

Nice looking stove B. We have a Jotul firelight in a 1200sq/ft house so have the opposite problem that you had, we get run out of this place....

Quote Originally Posted by Altissimus View Post
    Those stoves are made here and do the job amazingly well ... plus the stones retain and transfer heat like no other material ... not a Chinese assembly line piece of crap ... to fit the stones to the casting one person completes one stove at a time ... the craftsman's name and date are on ther too .... wish I had one
    Now don't be tossing apples in with oranges...mine, and a whole line of other Hearthstone stoves, are cast iron only...the soapstone models are nice, but have lots of different operating characteristics.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

Treehouser Sponsor chris_girard's Avatar

We love our small Jotul stove and man does it put out some BTU's.

Here's a link to the current model of the 602 we loved for all those years. Believe it or not, we got trade in value on that 602 that was more than we paid for it...by nearly 75%.

http://www.jotul.us/en-US/wwwjotulus...otul-F-602-CB/

NeTree

Here's our two. The Waverly potbelly is in the family room; heats well, but only takes 12"-14" wood. The Russo sits in the parlor, and heats most of the house, when we turn the blower on.

Attachment 38749Attachment 38750

Cast iron stoves are probabley a leg up on plate steel stoves .Having said that I have a Lopi glass front plate steel stove converted to an insert and it heats very well a tad over 2000 square feet unless Mrs Smith lets the fire get low .--actually the old gal does pretty good for a city girl .

As I type I'm in a room away from the source and it's 75 degrees .Ha probabley too hot for a certain Eskimo type up near Boston way but just the way I like it come winter time .

Worth noting that Erik has eschewed both fireplaces for retrofitted stoves . Wise move, of course, if heating the house is a desired objective.

I dunno, Al. Cast iron stoves need some coddling, welded plate is near idiot-proof.

TreeHouser Sponsor woodworkingboy's Avatar

Sleepy time stove works! Homemade from a well tank, second generation, and yeah she ain't pretty. I wouldn't exactly pride on the efficiency, but great for cooking and smoking too, with the rack carrier I welded in there.....zillions of meals. A great hot lunch in a few minutes. I can control and shut it down quite well with the air intake and damper. Rows of half bricks on the bottom and up the sides a bit, keep it from burning out. Quarter inch plate. Various parts are still going after about thirty-five years of use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shop0100.JPG  
    Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the great mystery. ~ Oglala Sioux