Wood stove heat

Off the top of my head I seem to think it's an energy king. Not sure of the model. I'll check tomorrow as everything is quiet around here now

No worries, just curious. Doesn't really matter. To hot is to hot no matter what make/model. But to hot is a good problem to have when it comes to heating. We are going to see about -15c here tonight. Chilly.

I always read No Hot Ashes in the garbage.

They probably don't want any ashes because some people are lazy, and have bad judgment.

That is exactly why Sean. If landfills/garbage contractors allow ashes, invariably some asshat will put live coals in the trash.

I wonder what happens to all these toxic ashes in the forest? These are slash piles lit off yesterday up in the hill behind my place. The pics don't show it but it was quite the show. Like a little war zone. Ahhhh logging country.

Taken with my phone so my apologies if they're every which way except the proper way up.

IMG_1148.jpg
IMG_1151.jpg

Hot coals remain in fireplace, ashes go in a covered ash tray, then I use them for the sidewalks in the winter. If not that, they go on a pile in my front yard.

lol, i tried tried the ashes on the sidewalk, they immediately came back inside on our feet and dogs. my wife was not happy to say the least.

I found a wet spot under my furnace this morning.
Bummer.

But a new one costs about 3 grand and I can install it myself, so it is no catastrophy.
I could just easily find something more fun to use that money for.

I thought you were a natural gas man Kevin? You burn wood too?

I love burning wood, but I am under no delusion that I am saving myself any money. I am working harder and causing more of a mess than if I just let my natural gas burn. Ive done the math and concluded that its not worth my time. but I am a pyro maniac and I love watching the fire burn. way better than cable tv.

I used to build a fire in the fireplace quite often as a kid.

My favorite thing was to place a little piece of wood between two big pieces of wood. As it burned and started to sag I would pretend that it was a bridge and people were trying to get across before it fell.

Later on I helped burn down a friend's barn.

Anyone else do that?

My favorite thing was to place a little piece of wood between two big pieces of wood. As it burned and started to sag I would pretend that it was a bridge and people were trying to get across before it fell.

Later on I helped burn down a friend's barn.

That is hilarious about the bridge, sounds like something I would do back in the day. I used to like to burn up small cardboard boxes, like donut boxes, pretend they were houses.

The barn- by accident? Or a training exercise?

Accident. Who would have thought that straw was not a good substance to smother fire with?

I did the same thing with all my mothers shoe boxes and other clothing boxes. I would set them up as multi story building, with doors and windows.

Light them up and then try to extinguish the flames with my squirt gun.

when i was kid in northern arizona me and a group of friends got to playing with matches and we lit a whole fence line of tumbleweeds on fire. it was spectacular! and really really scary.

Kevin. I have a high efficiency nearly new natural gas forced air furnace ducted throughout the house. Slightly oversized for the home, heats well. And then I have my two wood heaters. All costs aside, as obviously firewood is easier to come by here so is a nobrainer as far as cost. Cost aside, the wood is way way nicer heat than the gas furnace. There's no two ways about it. The gas heat doesn't deliver like the wood does.

Back