Buy online.

Nice post, Larry.

Magnus, in Sweden, do you have independent saw shops, not particularly associated with a certain maker, or if they are, ones that will still will work on saws of other brands? There are some people in the treehouse that work on saws for other people, I do, Al does he often mentions, but the burn is that we can't get parts at wholesale. If the dealers quit working on saws, it would be a big problem for the manufacturers. They might be able to help their problem by encouraging independent shops, and a good way to do that is by offering the parts so the repair shop can have the additional incentive of being able to mark up. Today a guy here was showing me his relatively new 346xp. I asked him what he payed from a dealer, the largest Husky one in the area. Given the exchange rate, it would be about $1600. Pretty pricey, so Husky stopped internet sales for pro saws so that customers can't go looking elsewhere to save some money. if I could buy if for half, probably still more than Bailey's would ask, and there was some independent guy around who worked on saws conscientiously, that would be my choice. Sometimes people post here about dealers doing poor work, that seems to weaken some of your logic a bit regarding the advantages of purchasing from dealers in general. Obviously doing good work is close to your heart, what does it matter if it's a dealer or someone out in his shed? The dealers can do the warrantee work, they earned the right with the sale. :lol: I think the manufacturers only increase certain problems by not making the parts and service bulletins available to the independent, as they would one of their dealers. Both Husky and stihl will fax me the schematics when I call them up, but they stop at parts. I admit it is pretty complicated, there is no perfect solution.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice post, Larry.

Magnus, in Sweden, do you have independent saw shops, not particularly associated with a certain maker, or if they are, ones that will still will work on saws of other brands?

Yes there is a hand full, me included.
I can work on all saws, but not all brands warranty work.

If the dealers quit working on saws, it would be a big problem for the manufacturers. They might be able to help their problem by encouraging independent shops, and a good way to do that is by offering the parts so the repair shop can have the additional incentive of being able to mark up.
Actually it would save them money not having a dealer network. Costs of parts and inventory, warranty work etc would be almost nothing.
It has been tried and worked great. Companion in Tandsbyn here in Sweden had no dealers or service outside factory.
Free shipping back and forth. Even a "twin sale" at one point that meant you got a extra power head with your complete saw.
Just swap over bar/chain and run the second while first was on service 1000km away.

and there was some independent guy around who worked on saws conscientiously, that would be my choice. Sometimes people post here about dealers doing poor work, that seems to weaken some of your logic a bit regarding the advantages of purchasing from dealers in general. Obviously doing good work is close to your heart, what does it matter if it's a dealer or someone out in his shed?
The independent is like me. I am just that. I work on saws only, no mowers, not much clearing saws. Very small line of products..
A dealer or shop you can find any were but to find one that has great interest and care is not so easy.
People are strange as they want the hole cake not just parts of it. They want to see, feel, try saws out and get good service when something is wrong.
To pay for it is hard for many. But some understand my time is worth just as much as theirs.
The dealers can do the warrantee work, they earned the right with the sale. :lol: I think the manufacturers only increase certain problems by not making the parts and service bulletins available to the independent, as they would one of their dealers. Both Husky and stihl will fax me the schematics when I call them up, but they stop at parts. I admit it is pretty complicated, there is no perfect solution.
There is no money in the sales, that is mostly just a service thing. Same with warranty...
Become a brand dealer isn't hard, but nothing I desire as my customers use all brands. I need all customers and all brands to keep my level of experience and to see objectively on the saws.

The buyer get a twisted view of things and see only part of the scene.
Things will change as more and more get tired of all the crap that come with internet sales and box stores.
More and more will service the saws they sold and deny the others.

I started this thread to try and help fill in the blanks so you see the hole picture.
If you don't like the dealer closest, look around, there is more dealers and shops that can help.
It will not be more expensive, quite opposite actually in the long run.

The money saved in buying online is quickly spent on learning experiences.

If you have a good dealer near he should be appreciated and valued.
Good dealers/shops are a dying breed.

Yep, a good dealer is really an advantage to have. Fair prices and good service, interested in the customers getting the best use out of what they have been sold, what more can you ask?

Just got in a 365 Special that was sold thru a "box store" type large dealer.
Not one screw that was tight on it. Have not run it jet, but judging from how it looks it has not seen any service...
I doubt it has seen 10 tanks of fuel.

Came here as it changed owner as it didn't run right.
Turns out ignition is loose, bouncing around in the chamber so flywheel, ignition and left side case is shot.
One bolt hole for the ignition is OK, the other is oval shaped, around 8mm thru the narrow and 12mm thru the widest.
Once these get loose it ruins thread and case fast.
I doubt this would happen if it was serviced properly before start.

I will try to patch it up as best i can...

I wish i could use the local dealer, and i have in the past, but i cant justify it. I dont take a saw to the shop ever, Saws are 1/2 again to double what I can get them on the net, parts the same. Its 30 miles to the dealer and I cant get their during the week, so its faster cheaper and easier all the way around to by online. I have enough saws that If I have one down no big deal, but I keep mostly new saws so i dont need alot of parts. As far as chains no way can I afford them at the dealer,I sharpen my own so I really dont need a dealer. That said I do deal with certain dealers on the net that are fast and give me the best deals. I am loyal to them to a point. The other thing is I only have one dealer within a hours drive, And he dosent like modded saws so that kinda leaves me out.

With Stihl other than a few items the parts are OEM ,just the way it is .The parts from a dealer are usually cheaper than on the net other than flea bay at times .Baileys boot legs them from some place but they jack the price about 10 percent plus you have to pay shipping so it's not a bargain .

With what few Husqvarna parts I need I buy through Amicks simpley because there are no stocking dealers in this locality .

The old antiques you just find parts wherever but that's just what you deal with on old stuff no matter if it's a saw or anything old .

I agree on the stihl parts, we had a stihl dealer but they closed down, parts were suprisingly pretty fair priced. The husqvarna dealer we have , parts are way overpriced.
I get most of my parts off ebay , or from dealers I have met on ebay. I also dont like non oem parts for the most part. Trouble is here, about all the saw shops stock and sell are the smallest and cheapest saws, anything else you have to order.

That's just something you deal with in more remote areas that aren't in high logging areas I think .There's maybe 4-5 Stihl dealers within 20 miles of me .One is 2 miles away but he annoyed me so I don't deal with him .

They tell me in areas such as up state NY or the PMW more often they have a selection of which brands and which dealer of that brand .Simpley because that area is more prone to chainsaw usage than north western Ohio in the middle of the bread basket of the nation amidst the corn and soy bean fields .

I would support a good local shop if there was one.Trouble is the local shop is mainly mowers and Trailers.They can get parts,but I have to point out the bits I want on the STHIL parts program.Then wait several weeks.

I normally order parts from the net.

I don't know how it's done in Europe but Stihls policy is no internet sales in the USA .

Now this is not to say it isn't done and if I did same I'd never reveal it over the internet .Some things are best not said

Shoot If I had a good saw dealer here or with 10 miles it wouldn't even matter what brand, stihl, husky, dolmar, I would do business there, and I would go there just to hang out and bs about saws! In fact I might be there all the time on weekends, I miss that , In MO where I grew up there were alot more saw shops.

These aren't strictly Stihl dealers .They sell all kinds of stuff .Lawn mowers ,tillers ,generaters .One as a matter of fact is a hardware store .Gallon of bar oil and 5 pounds of 16D sinkers with a claw hammer all in one fell swoop .

Back